Style Castaway romance
Setting Tiny private island near Tahaa
A truly boutique barefoot-luxe escape, intimate private-isle hotel Vahine Island (aka Island of the Women) has just nine bungalows, shaded by coconut trees with dreamy views over a turquoise lagoon. You're within easy reach of vanilla-toting main island Tahaa, but you'll feel a world away, lulled into languor by sun, swaying hammocks and simply superb meals on the sand. Go outrigger canoeing, sea kayaking or snorkelling, then kick back for sunset o'clock.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine standalone bungalows, including three suites.
Double rooms from $650.66 (€486), excluding tax at 14 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€486) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude compulsory half-board (breakfast and three-course gourmet dinner at €83 an adult a night) or optional full-board (plus a two-course lunch for €25 each), as well as drinks and taxes. Return transfers from Raiatea are €70 each.
- Facilities Private beach, sea kayaks, Polynesian pirogues (outrigger canoe), windsurfers, snorkelling gear, floating pontoons, beach volleyball and badminton ground, concierge, library, laundry, free DVD/film library, board games, boutique, free WiFi throughout, helipad. In rooms: TV, DVD player, minibar, Molton Brown toiletries, air-conditioning and ceiling fans, beach shower, terrace with hammock and sun-beds.
- Poolside There's no swimming pool at Vahine but with a lagoon this alluring you won't care.
- Check-out 11am; check-in, 1pm, but both flexible subject to availability.
- Children Welcome: kids will love the freedom of this chilled-out, barefoot-luxe island, and you'll like the deals which make it more affordable to bring kids age 12 or under. Babysitting is available by request. More...
- Also Smoking is allowed outdoors and on bungalow terraces only.
Food and drink at Vahine Island
French chef Terence Trouyet turns out delicious, fresh Polynesian-meets-Mediterranean cuisine at Vahine's simply styled, informal restaurant, where you can eat in the shady, island-style interior or on tables spilling out onto the sand under the coconut palms. The decor blends plain wood and woven-leaf walls, with Japanese-esque sliding doors opening to the beach. Breakfast is usually served indoors, starring local delicacies such as home-made yoghurt with Tahaa vanilla, croissants, mango marmalade, omelettes and tropical fruits. Enjoy airy lunches outside looking out over the lagoon, with à la carte dishes spanning prawn and mango spring rolls with mint, filet of mahi mahi with papaya salad and sauce vierge, and tuna tartar with pineapple, honey and soy (save space for flambeed banana and caramel). Come evening, gourmet candlelit dinners, with daily changing menus, are whipped up inside. Due to Vahine's remote location, half-board is compulsory and full-board optional; the hotel is the also the island's only occupant, so you'll do most of your dining here.
- Dress code Breezy, beachy, boho and barefoot.
- Top table We love the tables out on the sand for lagoonside lounging and dreamy Tahaa Island views.
- Last orders Dinner is served at Vahine's restaurant from 7pm until 9pm; Tane bar stays open all day from 10am until 10pm.
- Room service There's no room service as such, but your bungalow minibar comes stocked with a tempting mix of drinks and snacks (at extra cost).
Airy, open-air Tane bar blends Polynesian style with local materials, from volcanic stone to a mix of bamboo, ironwood and coconut trunks. You're welcome to quaff drinks before or after dinner, with tropical cocktails such as the signature Vahine, blending rum with vanilla, pineapple, guava and grenadine. As well as board games and books, there's usually a cultural show once a week in high season, with local singing, dancing and a Polynesian barbecue and buffet evening.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Vahine Island BP 510 - 98735 Uturoa RAIATEA, RAIATEA
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Vahine Island
One cocktail each with canapés or a bottle of house wine for dinner (once during your stay)
Offers at Vahine Island
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All nine standalone bungalows are decked out in simple, romantic Polynesian island style with seductive terrace views over the lagoon towards Tahaa or distant Bora Bora. For the most space and privacy, bag one of the Beach Suites, which are twice the size of the standard Beach Bungalows and sport a separate lounge and second terrace overlooking the coconut grove. If you want to be out in the lagoon, the three Overwater Bungalows offer killer views and an aquarium table for ogling subaqua action.
Reef shoes and a rash shirt for aquatic larks; your tune-loaded iPod for sunlounger sessions.
Nearby Tahaa is dubbed the 'Vanilla Island', so expect vanilla to flavour tasty local dishes and drinks.