The Standard Downtown LA
Style Groovy retro spy HQ
Setting High-rise downtown playground
What do you get if you cross James Bond bachelor chic, mid-century metropolitan architecture and acid-bright pop-culture wit? The Standard Downtown LA. This fun and funky downtown boutique hotel in Los Angeles bears all the outré hallmarks of dynamic hotelier André Balazs: one of the coolest bars in LA, baths big enough for basketball players, and on-the-money decor that cries out to be a Sixties-era film set.
Need to know
- Rooms 207; two penthouse suites.
Double rooms from $185.00, excluding tax at 15.5 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($185) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- Facilities SPiN ping pong club and social lounge, outdoor lounge with fireplace, lobby with pool table, 24-hour fitness centre, barber, gift shop, photobooth, valet parking. In rooms: CD/DVD players, video games, mini-bars, laptop safes and free WiFi.
- Poolside The Standard's heated rooftop pool has scarlet Perspex seating pods and matching astroturf, sun loungers and waterbed cabanas on its sundeck.
- Check-out Midday, but if you want to check out later, there are half-day rates (subject to room availability).
- Children Welcome. Extra beds can be provided, US$50 a night. Babysitters available.
- Also There are smoking and non-smoking rooms; smoking is not permitted in the indoor public areas.
- Hotel closed Never.
Food and drink at The Standard Downtown LA
- Hotel restaurant The Standard's cheery canary-yellow diner-style restaurant is just off the lobby and open round the clock; it offers a gratifyingly unfussy menu of neo-comfort food (syrup-drizzled pancakes, croques monsieurs, meatballs).
- Dress code Casual jeans combos – but more Juicy Couture than Glasto grunge.
- Top table Head for the patio and get a side of California sunshine with your meal.
- Last orders The Rooftop Bar, 1.30am; The Standard Restaurant is open 24/7: breakfast 6–11am; lunch 11am–5pm; dinner 5pm–11pm; overnight menu 11pm–6am; weekend brunch, 11am–5pm.
- Room service 24 hours; food comes from the restaurant.
- Hotel bar The Standard's Rooftop Bar is super-cool, dizzyingly hip and boasts stimulating 360º cityscape views. As well as bar snacks, it serves up a feisty collection of cocktails and mellow, toe-tapping house tracks.
The Standard Downtown LA 550 South Flower Street at Sixth Street, Los Angeles, California California 90071
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Standard Downtown LA
Two complimentary cocktails in the Lobby Bar. Smith members staying in a Penthouse will receive VIP access to the Rooftop with an exclusive reserved table and two free cocktails (must be booked; tables only held for 15 minutes after booking time).
Offers at The Standard Downtown LA
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Standard's room names are helpfully descriptive (From ‘Cheap’ to ‘Big Penthouse’ via ‘Gigantic’ and ‘Wow’), so you’ll know what you’re getting; the more you pay, the higher up your room will be. ‘Medium’ rooms are good value but still a decent size, with queen-size beds and revealing glass-walled showers. ‘Huge’ rooms have a separate seating area and soaking tub that opens onto the room. ‘Humungous’ rooms occupy corner sites and have the most windows. We particularly love the ‘Wow’ rooms, with their Shaquille O’Neal-length beds and party-sized baths and showers.
Slick swimwear for poolside glamour (avoid orange, though – you'll clash with the red astroturf); a warm cover-up for winter evenings.
Mood lighting, scented candles, giant mirrors and treat-filled mini-bars make the Standard’s rooms the perfect set for recreating those fantasy movie moments… Groovy, baby. The windows actually open, too.