Style Luxed-up nature
Setting Fantasy Island
Luminescent turquoise water and a powdery-white beach on a tiny island south of Phuket create a classic postcard backdrop for boutique hotel The Racha. Pared down and eco-chic, this modern oasis has been built in low-rise harmony with its environment, with serene whitewashed villas for clutter-free cool.
Need to know
- Rooms 70 villas, including nine suites.
Double rooms from $261.18 (THB7,800), excluding tax at 18.7 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (THB7,800) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Library with WiFi, tennis and basketball courts, spa, yoga studio, gym, five-star Racha dive centre, beach club, mountain bikes, gift shop. In rooms: broadband internet, flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, preloaded iPod, minibar.
- Poolside Swim to the beat of underwater music in the sublime infinity pool by the beach or the secluded garden pool.
- Check-out Noon. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome, but the Racha is more of a grown-up playground. Baby cots are free and extra beds for older kids cost THB600 a night. Babysitting is available with staff for THB300 an hour with a day's notice. More...
- Also The Racha is on just-remote-enough Racha Yai Island, 20km south of Phuket, so getting here is a bit James Bond. Take a private limousine from Phuket airport and a thrilling 35-minute speedboat trip, or opt for the cheaper scheduled speedboat.
Food and drink at The Racha
- Hotel restaurant The Racha has restaurants to suit all food moods. The relaxed, contemporary Earth Café serves breakfast and dinner indoors and alfresco. Opening onto the pool deck, the romantic Fire Grill plates up pizzas, pastas and salads during the day and gourmet offerings at night. Casual Sunset Beach Restaurant lets you sink your toes into the sand as you graze on Thai food and burgers at lunch and barbecued seafood and steak in the evening. On the eastern side of the island, chic daytime café Gerardo’s Beach Club offers Thai-Western fusion dishes and killer cocktails.
- Dress code Hippie chic – designer dip-dye vests and maxi-dresses.
- Top table Private dinners are encouraged – opt for a candlelit dinner on the Star Deck.
- Last orders All the restaurants take orders until 10.30pm, then hit the Ice Bar which stays open until 1am.
- Room service Available 7am–midnight, or book a private chef for a barbecue on your terrace.
- Hotel bar Nurse a mojito as you watch the sun set over the sea at the smart Lobby Bar. Ice Bar is a late-night perch for drinks, live music and karaoke. The Club del Mar Beach Club is the go-to spot for nocturnal quaffing, with a DJ spinning tunes (it also boasts a pool, spa and dishes up a mean buffet lunch).
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Racha 42/12-13, Moo 5, Rawai, Muang, Phuket & Khao Lak, Thailand, 83130
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Racha
A bottle of wine and a fruit basket
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All villas are serene and clutter-free, with whitewashed walls, dark shutters and streamlined teak furniture. Suites 101 or 102 are more secluded and have the most spectacular sea views, along with their own plunge pools. Splashing out? The Lighthouse is a five-storey, two-bedroom ‘villa’ with 360-degree island views.
The Racha is pretty remote, so bring plenty of books and magazines as you won’t be able to buy any once there. Pack your Blackberry if you need to stay in touch as stormy weather can make broadband connections erratic.
The Racha smells divine with fresh lemongrass fragrance permeating throughout. Choose from lemongrass, jasmine or lavender scents for your room. Smoking is allowed outdoors and in open-air restaurants only.