The Olde Bell Inn
Style Inn-keeping with tradition
Setting Thames riverside village
With parts of it dating back to 1135, The Olde Bell Inn in Hurley has heritage creeping out of every inglenook. Ilse Crawford, however, has imbued the mediaeval hostelry with the same rustic elegance she brought to Babington House – without sacrificing the oak-beamed, traveller’s-rest cosiness that has characterised the Thameside inn for centuries.
Need to know
- Rooms 48, including two suites.
Double rooms from $120.08 (£79), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£79) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities Meadow garden, tennis court, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, Roberts radio, Aesop toiletries. DVD players on request.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible, depending on availability. Check in, 2pm.
- Children The inn’s meadow gardens are the perfect natural playground. Baby cots are free.
- Also Small dogs are welcome, although the inn can’t offer food or bedding.
Food and drink at The Olde Bell Inn
The inn’s seasonally inspired, gastropubby menu makes draws heavily from locally sourced meat and fish, and combines them with ingredients from the inn gardens. All bread is baked fresh on site, and in summer, there’s a barbecue outdoors.
- Dress code Barbour and Burberry.
- Top table Have the Olde Bell prepare you a lunchtime picnic hamper (complete with blanket and bottle opener), and meander down to the riverbank.
- Last orders Lunch, 12.30pm–3pm; dinner, 6.30pm–9.45pm. There’s no dinner served on Sundays. The bar is open until 11pm.
- Room service A full restaurant menu is available during kitchen opening hours, a snack selection at other times.
Lined with photographs of the inn’s past, the black-beamed bar area is riddled with nooks, woven with crannies, and warmed by an open-fire.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Olde Bell Inn High Street, Hurley, Berkshire, SL6 5LX
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Olde Bell Inn
A bottle of NV Ayala champagne
Offers at The Olde Bell Inn
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Simple, pared back, modern and comfortable, the Olde Bell’s Crawford-refurbished rooms retain the quintessentially English feel of the inn as a whole, with chunky farmhouse furniture, woven wool blankets, oak floorboards, and smart, natural tones. Thanks to the grassy scents of the hand-made rush matting, the rooms even smell rustic. Bathrooms are fitted with drench showers and, in the Malt House Larger rooms, elegant claw-foot baths (as well as showers).
Leave your library on the shelf – each of the Olde Bell’s rooms has a stash of Penguin Classics to thumb through.