The New White Lion
Style Impeccable low-key glamour
Setting Little town of Llandovery
The Pritchards opened the New White Lion hotel in Llandovery to introduce guests to the local rural splendour they adore so passionately, creating a luxurious base from which country-lovers can explore Carmarthenshire and the Brecon Beacons national park. Beautiful antique furniture is offset by rich pickings related to the area’s heritage; old books, miners’ boots and local maps blend into a domain where every modern comfort is provided.
Need to know
- Rooms Six, named after local characters and legends.
Double rooms from $151.28 (£100), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£100) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include full Welsh breakfast.
- Facilities Small courtyard, internet access, private parking. In rooms, flatscreen TV, Egyptian cotton sheets, Duck Island toiletries.
- Check-out Midday (but flexible, subject to availability); earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children The New White Lion is more of an adults' escape.
Food and drink at The New White Lion
The pretty little Dining Room is open for breakfast, and dinner – expect Welsh home-cooking of the finest kind, made with seasonal, local, organic ingredients. Typical dishes include wild salmon and leek pie, Welsh black beef braised in red wine and wonderful wedges of apple pie.
- Dress code Thrown-together favourites, with shiny embellishments for dinner.
- Top table One of the back-wall tables on either side of the fireplace.
- Last orders The Brianne Bar in the lounge is open from midday till 11.30pm. Dinner (with notice) is served 7pm–9pm.
- Room service None, but with a little warning they can rustle up something for you.
The Brianne Bar in the lounge is open from midday till 11.30pm; help yourselves to the honesty bar and pull up an armchair in front of the stone fireplace.
The New White Lion 43 Stone Street, Llandovery, Carmarthenshire, Brecon Beacons, Carmarthenshire SA20 0BZ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The New White Lion
A bottle of Patagonian wine or a selection of handmade chocolates on departure
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Physicians of Myddfai (Room 1) is the largest, with an ornately carved headboard, feathered lamps and a big corner bath. All the other individually decorated rooms are stylishly furnished, with ensuite power showers, but we particularly like elegant Lady of the Lake (Room 2), with its pale and interesting decor.
Sensible shoes for yomping up mountains and biking along mountain tracks. Or a good book, if you're not the outdoorsy sort.
The hotel hosts monthly evening events in the ‘salon’ vein, featuring traditional folk singers, storytellers, local musicians and Welsh cuisine.