The Montpellier Chapter
Style Modern makeover
Setting Listed Georgian villa
A slick, contemporary take on the 'bedrooms plus wine bar and bistro' formula, The Montpellier Chapter in Cheltenham manages to magic all mod cons into one smart heritage-renovation package, including a well-stocked lounge cum library, spa space, moody bar and Modern British restaurant.
Need to know
- Rooms 61, including a Penthouse Suite.
Double rooms from $156.35 (£100), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£100) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually include full English breakfast. Rates are higher during the Cheltenham Festival, when pre-payment is required for all rooms.
- Facilities A four-room spa with steam room, courtyard, fitness room, library, free WiFi throughout, meeting rooms, laundry service. In rooms: media hub with pre-loaded iPod, flatscreen LCD TV, complimentary minibar, Nespresso machine and kettle, ironing board and iron, hairdryer, fluffy bathrobes, Aromatherapy Associates toiletries.
- Poolside There's no pool on site, but guests have access to the ozone pool at the nearby Cheltenham Ladies College.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Extra beds and cots can be added to rooms (free for under 12s); children are welcome all day in the restaurant, and there’s a children’s menu as well as high chairs. Changing mats, potties and other essential kit is available to book in advance of your stay.
- Also Pets welcome by prior arrangement. The Montpellier Chapter has three wheelchair-accessible rooms. Smoking is only permitted outside on the terrace. Both the spa and the restaurant can be busy, so book treatments/dinner before arrival if you can.
Food and drink at The Montpellier Chapter
Inspired by the best-selling author and star of The Good Cook, Simon Hopkinson, the restaurant delivers seasonal Modern British fare under a soaring barrel-vaulted ceiling; we loved the pork wrapped in bacon, served with belly pork, crackling to die for, potato puree and apple sauce. The interactive iPad wine list is fun way to pick your plonk – but the sommelier can help you choose more challenging matches.
- Dress code Come as you are (although Cheltenham does like to dress up).
- Top table For dinner, a see-and-be-seen table in the buzzy main dining room will give you a glimpse of the kitchen; the Garden Room with its view of the courtyard's uplit boxwood tree is more romantic. When the sun shines, you can't beat the terrace.
- Last orders The cocktails are shaken until 1am; last orders in the restaurant are at 10.30pm.
- Room service Anything from a hearty breakfast to a cleansing broth can be ordered round the clock; most offerings are taken from the more-please bar menu.
Cocktails are taken seriously in the mirror-backed, sofa-lined bar: staff had serious mixology training to tackle the spirited selection of independent-label liquors. Look out for Chase vodka, distilled nearby in Hereford. There's also an all-day menu of grown-up comfort food, including quirky chilli, fine pies and excellent pizzas.
The Montpellier Chapter Bayshill Road, Montpellier, Cheltenham, Gloucestershire GL50 3AS
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Montpellier Chapter
A £10 voucher to spend in the hotel restaurant
Offers at The Montpellier Chapter
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Rooms all have the same mod cons and hi-tech accoutrements, but Feature rooms boast extra, ahem, features, such as egg-shaped freestanding baths. Rooms in the modern extension are more contemporary, with stone-clad walls and oak floors; rooms in the renovated original Georgian building feature thick carpets and dove-grey paintwork. Superior Rooms at the back of the original Villa have private balconies, but the Penthouse Suite gives you bags of space and a private roof terrace looking out across Cheltenham to Cleeve Hill.
Leave plenty of room in your bags for shopping. Bring swimwear if you fancy a splash in the Cheltenham Ladies College pool.
The spa has four treatment rooms, two with curvilinear, oak-lined walls. Treatments feature Aromatherapy Associates’ divine essential-oil blends and are performed by an experienced team of therapists.