The James Royal Palm
Style Dapper deco design den
Setting Sunny South Beach
Set in the heart of South Beach, The James Royal Palm in Miami is an art deco dreamboat of ocean views, sweeping grounds and sunloungers speckled around two pools. Inside, it houses two trendy restaurants, a rum bar and a nightclub, giving it more hip than a Rubens painting.
Need to know
- Rooms 393, including 159 suites.
Double rooms from $289.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional of $21.47 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($289) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (from $20), but include non-motorised watersports.
- Facilities Spa, fitness centre, gardens, beach chairs, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, radio, iPod dock, minibar, Intelligent Nutrients bath products.
- Poolside The James has two heated outdoor pools. The main pool is surrounded by sunloungers; the smaller plunge pool has a waterfall tumbling into it. There’s also a semi-private beach area with access to paddle boards, kayaks, beach chairs and towels.
- Check-out 2pm. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome. The hotel has a playspace, called the Lil’ James, and has cribs at no extra charge; rollaways are available for $25. There are child-friendly treats at the pool and beach.
Food and drink at The James Royal Palm
Two. Florida Cookery serves regional specialties with a focus on local ingredients. The seasonal menu includes lychee-roasted quail, frog’s legs and mahi mahi with Indian corn. Catch, the dimly lit Philippe Starck-designed restaurant from Top Chef star Hung Huynh, serves globally-inspired seafood dishes, including sourdough-crusted halibut cioppino, and whole snapper with peppers and chilli. Huynh makes his own olive oil, and pairs dishes with a 500-bin wine list.
- Dress code Don’t hold back: these restaurants attract Miami’s most tanned and glam. Wear oversize sunglasses for covert star-spotting.
- Top table At Florida Cookery, snag a spot on the patio. The second floor of Catch offers better views and less noise.
- Last orders The bars open at 5pm, with South Shore closing at midnight, and Lobby Lounge at 11pm. Florida Cookery serves from 7am until 4.30pm, then from 5pm to 10pm; Catch is open from 6pm until midnight.
- Room service Items from the Florida Cookery menu can be delivered to your room anytime. The hotel also offers boxed meals to eat by the pool or ocean.
Four. South Shore is a guests-only Cuban lounge with superlative rum cocktails. SL Miami is a local outpost of New York’s trendy club, with booths, international DJs and 200sq m of dance floors. The Lobby Lounge serves coffee (with free iPad usage) by day, then transitions to classic cocktails with bar snacks in the evenings. There’s also a poolside bar for tropical cocktails.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The James Royal Palm 1545 Collins Avenue , Miami Beach, Florida 33139
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The James Royal Palm
Daily breakfast for two in the restaurant, excluding alcohol
Current offers at The James Royal Palm
Offers at The James Royal Palm
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each room features unique local art, and even the smallest rooms are among the biggest on South Beach. Two-Bedroom Suites in the West Tower have 180-degree views spanning the ocean, bay and Ocean Drive, along with roomy lounge space and a larger ensuite with a soaking tub. Be sure to request a room with a balcony to catch sea breezes.
Stock up on glamorous beach attire, along with dancing clothes for the clubs along Collins Avenue. But don’t fret if you forget anything important: the concierge promises to fetch anything you need.
Renew, The Spa in the adjacent Lanai building offers ocean-inspired treatments, including salt scrubs and salt-water soaks. There are also yoga classes, wellness consultations and couples’ massages.