The Harmony Hotel
Style Barefoot necessities
Setting My goodness, Guiones!
Howler monkeys signal sunrise at Harmony Hotel, where surfers catch some of the best waves on this side of the Pacific. Those who don’t hang 10 can laze on hammocks with smoothies from the juice bar or explore the ferns, palms and flowers that make up this tropical paradise.
Need to know
- Rooms 24, including 14 suites.
Double rooms from $430.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($430) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast, one yoga class per person, a sustainability tour, the use of cruiser bicycles in town and free international calls.
- Facilities Spa and healing centre, bookshop/boutique, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: fridge, Red Flower toiletries.
- Poolside A heated freshwater pool sits in the heart of the property’s tropical garden, with several surrounding chaises. Palm fronds shade portions of the water for sun-shy swimmers.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible and free, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Baby cots are available free. Extra beds cost US$50 each. The hotel can arrange babysitting at the time of booking. Rates start at US$20 an hour.
- Also The closest gas station is a 45-minute drive, so arrive with a full tank.
Food and drink at The Harmony Hotel
Plantation shutters, ceiling fans on wooden rafters, Caribbean music and woven-mat wall hangings all set the Brazilian beach style of Harmony’s restaurant. The menu focuses on organic and local ingredients in dishes such as ceviche, sushi, Pacific shrimp scampi and a typical Costa Rican casado – a mixed dish of grilled fish, beans, slaw, plantains and fried cheese.
- Dress code Sarongs, shorts and sand between your toes, though shirts are required at dinner.
- Top table Though there isn’t a bad seat in the house, tables on the perimeter near the bar offer pool views and excellent people-watching.
- Last orders The restaurant serves until 9pm, but cocktails are poured until 10pm.
- Room service None.
The open-air bar has a lounge area where guests can order tropical fruit cocktails, including daiquiris and margaritas. During the day, the thatch-roofed Juice Bar is a popular stop-off between beach visits or after yoga class at the Healing Centre. If you’re still thirsty after smoothies and milkshakes, the hut mixes its own ‘fizzer’ sodas using homegrown herbs and fruit, such as basil-berry and tamarind, lime and ginger.
The Harmony Hotel Guiones, Nosara, Nosara, Guanacaste
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Harmony Hotel
A welcome cocktail and a complimentary sustainability tour.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Bungalows are our favourite options for their spacious, 1970s-style rooms, and huge decks with rocking chairs and outdoor showers. They feel like your own home at the beach. Of these, Bungalow 26 has a completely private patio, making it the ideal honeymooner hideaway.
Board shorts are essential for tackling the waves and fitting in with the local surfers. The hotel can provide soft boards for beginning surfers, though experienced wave-catchers are welcome to bring their own gear. Leave your vices behind: this organic-minded property is all about the pura vida.
Harmony Hotel’s Healing Centre hosts daily yoga classes and guided meditation. Massages and facials use local fruits and plants, including banana, papaya and cacao. Should you forget any beach essentials, the tiny La Tiendita shop sells sunblock, mosquito repellent, surf wax and books, as well as art supplies for those occasional moments of beachy inspiration.