Style Designer driftwood
Setting Sand dunes and salty air
Down by the dunes of Camber Sands, The Gallivant hotel and bistro is a nautically dressed motel conversion, a vision in blues, whites and wave-washed woods. Climb aboard.
Need to know
- Rooms 18, including one suite.
Double rooms from $128.99 (£83), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£83) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a two-course (Continental and English) breakfast.
- Facilities Library of books and DVDs, windsurfing and kitesurfing equipment hire, and free WiFi throughout. In rooms, flatscreen TV, DVD player and the White Company bath products.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Extra beds are £20. Under-12s can dine in the restaurant between 6pm and 6.30pm. The hotel has a list of reliable local babysitters for guests to contact independently.
- Also Dogs are welcome in the rooms outside of the main building; just make sure they’re as friendly as Camber, the owner’s dog – he has a penchant for licking.
Food and drink at The Gallivant
The Beach Bistro is cool and coastal, kitted out in reclaimed driftwood, lots of blue and white, and a healthy smattering of shells. Trevor Hamley heads up this beachy outpost, where fresh catches are cooked to perfection. Try the Dover sole with mustard and caper butter or the cod and clam stew.
- Dress code Breton stripes beneath your windbreaker.
- Top table The beach may be obscured by grassy dunes, but by the window is best.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 7.30am and 9.30am; lunch is on offer pretty much all day; and dinner starts at 6pm and runs until 9.30pm.
- Room service Bistro fare and an abridged room service menu are available between 11am and 9pm.
There's no bar, just a pair of sofas in the restaurant to perch on while you wait for your table. When the weather's fine, there are a handful of tables on the outdoor decking. If you're feeling patriotic, try the English wine from Chapel Down.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
The Gallivant New Lydd Road, Camber, Rye, East Sussex TN31 7RB
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Gallivant
A bottle of wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Go for a beachy and breezy blue-and-white Beach Hut Suite for the most cat-swinging most space. They have white wooden floors, handmade feather sofas and a very wide bed, as well as their own patch of the motel-style decking outside. Fans of a good bed need look no further than a Double – each comes with a king-size number made from recycled wood.
Blue, white and beige to blend in with your coastal surrounds; beach-proof shoes suited to a hilly ramble.
The chef runs regular cookery classes: go along with him to meet a supplier and watch what he does with the produce. You’ll then be able to eat it, too. There are boat-to-plate, field-to-plate and shoot-to-plate options on offer. What’s more, guests get a discount.