The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Style Snug Victorian inn
Setting Moorland market town near York
Twenty minutes from York, the quaint and castle-toting North Yorkshire village of Helmsley is host to this homely Victorian-built boutique hotel, where guests go to hide away from urban hubbub, ramble the majestic moors, or ensconce themselves for shooting season. Whatever the reason for your stay, The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa is a rustic retreat that promises an irresistible combo of cosseting, duck-down-pillowed cosiness inside and wild, wuthering moorland out.
Need to know
- Rooms 33, including 22 suites.
Double rooms from $151.57 (£100), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£100) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include full Yorkshire breakfast. Full board rates are available.
- Facilities Spa with heat treatments and hot tub, DVD/CD library. In-room amenities: B&O flatscreen TV with integrated DVD/CD player, open fireplace, under-floor heating, L’Occitane toiletries.
- Poolside The outdoor pool is set on a lovely garden terrace, with picnic tables and chairs dotted about. It's heated all year round so you can swim even when it snows. You can order from a poolside-dining menu in summertime.
- Check-out 11am, but this is flexible, subject to availability.
- Children Cots are provided free; folding z-beds for older kids are available for £19 a night. The hotel provides babysitting at £10 an hour and the restaurant has a children’s menu. More...
- Also The Feversham welcomes dogs, but not in the restaurant; and doggy damages must be paid for. There’s a two-night minimum stay and compulsory dinner at weekends.
Food and drink at The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The hotel’s restaurant is a maroon-walled, sky-lit eatery serving a Modern British menu that draws heavily from local ingredients – rich Yorkshire game and tasty North Sea fish appear in abundance. Talented chef Chris Staines notched up a Michelin star in a previous (culinary) life, so expect great things.
- Dress code Squires and sportsmen.
- Top table The fact that table 4 is shielded from the rest of the room by a pillar makes it the most romantic dining spot.
- Last orders Dinner is served from 7pm to 9.30pm in the restaurant.
- Room service Snacks can be delivered to your door all day until 9.30pm.
Feversham is blessed with a brace of bars: one in the front lounge; one in the snug to the rear. Relaxing and quiet, they’re the perfect places to plant yourself and peruse the weekend papers.
The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa 1-8 High Street, Helmsley, York, North Yorkshire, YO62 5AG
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
A glass of pink champagne before dinner on one night
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Cosy and contemporary Room 21 is dripping with character, with the original beam running through the ceiling and a huge bathroom with a claw-foot bath. Room 17 is the largest studio double. Rooms 20–25 are more modern in style, the others are classic and countrified. Superstitiously enough, there’s no room 13.
No one’s seen dead in these parts without a pair of solid, sturdy wellies for tramping the moors.
Because of its proximity to the hunting-lands of North Yorkshire, the Feversham Arms has a secure gun room for stashing your 12-bore.