The Carneros Inn
Style Modernist home on the range
Setting California's bucolic pastures new
Unusual new-build resort The Carneros Inn is a bold, contemporary vision of traditional local farm structures – the distinctive tin-roofed barns, silos and rancher's cottages dotted throughout Napa Valley have informed an ultra-modern 'agri-chic' aesthetic that marries old-school decked porches, cowhide rugs and rocking chairs with Le Corbusier chaises and a colour scheme Giorgio Armani would be proud of. And you'd have to search long and hard to find a much warmer welcome anywhere in the world.
Need to know
- Rooms 86 Cottages, including 10 Suites and 24 Private Homes.
Double rooms from $465.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional service charge of $25.00 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($465) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- Facilities DVD library, gardens, luxury fitness centre and spa, spa boutique, concierge team; in-room plasma TVs, DVD, free Internet access, underfloor heating, wood-burning fires, minibar, AC, spa services and private fitness training, free bikes to borrow.
- Poolside The large adults-only outdoor heated infinity pool has lovely countryside views and a hot tub to enjoy them from; there's another infinity pool for families, with a hot tub and separate children's pool, too.
- Check-out Midday, but check with reception as late check-out is sometimes available.
- Children Dedicated family pool area. Cottage suites available, consisting of adjoining cottages and shared patio. The hotel can organise a host of family activities, from art classes or cheese-making to horse-riding and helicopter trips. Babysitting. More...
- Also Smoking allowed on guests' private decks. Check-in is 4pm. The luxury spa offers suitably farm-inspired treatments, such as warm goat's butter massages, grape-seed scrubs. Dogs permitted in some rooms, US$150 a stay; damages charge, US$200 minimum.
- Hotel closed Never.
Food and drink at The Carneros Inn
- Hotel restaurant The Farm serves local organic produce in an alfresco lounge setting with wood-burning fireplaces. It's closed on Monday and Tuesdays though, opening up for dinner during the rest of the week. Boonfly Café serves breakfast, lunch and light meals. The Hilltop Dining Room has amazing views. Tables can only be booked for six or more people.
- Dress code Take dress-down Friday and then dress it down even more. If you wear heels, you'll only scuff them on the gravel paths.
- Top table Head up to the Hilltop Dining Room for the best views. Sit by the fire or on the patio at Farm.
- Last orders Hilltop Dining Room, 4pm; Hilltop Bar, 10pm (midnight on Fridays and Saturdays); Boonfly Café, 10pm; Farm at the Carneros Inn, 10pm.
- Room service 7am–10pm; order a bottle of wine before last orders to drink on your private deck.
- Hotel bar The Hilltop Bar is decked out in Brazilian cherry wood and polished concrete; it's a great spot for a reflective after-dinner cocktail. Alternativley, kick back in Farm's buzzier outdoor lounge bar.
The Carneros Inn 4048 Sonoma Highway, Napa Valley, CA 94559
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Carneros Inn
Two VIP tasting passes to the Vintner's Collective
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All the cottages have private gardens, patios and decks with gas heaters and romantic outdoor showers. Note that cottage suites consist of two separate cottages connected by a private patio (ideal for families or groups of friends). Vineyard suites have the nicest views, but the cottages represent better value for money.
Swimwear (you'll be gutted if you forget it); comfortable shoes for walking and post-wine-tasting moments of instability; a great book; yoga kit.
The chef can prepare a picnic for you to take wherever you like. There's a team of concierge staff who are extremely knowledgable about the region, its vineyards and pursuits. They'll call before you arrive to find out what you want from your stay.
From the Guestbook…
This hotel was fabulous and nothing like anywhere else we have stayed. The view of the vineyards from the outdoor hot tub is to die for – plus the horses are quite partial to...more