Style Nautical neocolonial mansion
Setting Newport coastal chic
Set in a neo-colonial mansion a few blocks from the water, The Attwater hotel in Newport has more nautical know-how than a summer sailing crew. Rooms are primarily decorated with ocean blues, and accents like lacquered finishes, nailheads and grommets are meant to conjure boat designs. Aspiring sailors should stop by the bistro each morning, where homemade pastries and cappuccinos are perfect fuel for a day on the water.
Need to know
- Rooms 12, including 4 suites.
Double rooms from $229.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($229) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast and parking.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout, free parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, iPad, minibar, Lather bath products.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Leave them at home. This small hotel is best suited to couples.
- Also The lounge and café on the first floor are wheelchair-accessible.
- Hotel closed January 2 to February 1.
Food and drink at The Attwater
In mornings, the check-in area seamlessly becomes a perky breakfast bistro, serving excellent coffee and espresso drinks, homemade baked goods, including doughnuts, bagels and pastries, along with light breakfast items. Later in the day, there are cookies, scones and free French-press coffee. Each guest receives a punch card for three free items over the course of a stay.
- Dress code Polished and preppy. New Englanders don’t tend to show up to breakfast in their PJs or workout wear.
- Top table On a nice day, sit by the open French doors or take your coffee out to sip on the porch.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 8am, with snacks available all day.
- Room service None, though each room has a Keurig coffeemaker and a fridge for guests to stock.
None to speak of.
The Attwater 22 Liberty St, Newport, RI 02840
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Attwater
Salted Rosemary Cookies from Lark Fine Foods
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The King Suite the best room in the house, with a separate seating area and a gas fireplace. Each of the four is decorated in perky prints with sea-inspired colours, but the burnt-orange and navy Suite is our favourite.
Each room comes with an iPad fully loaded with tips and information on Newport and the surrounding areas, so leave the guidebooks at home. Newport is a sailing hub, so bring anything you’ll need to hit the high seas.
On sunny days, the deck on the second floor is one of the best spots in town to read or lounge. The deck has a pleasant view, and comfortable chairs with thick cushions.