The Apsara Rive Droite
Style Chic gîte retreat
Setting The right bank
Enjoy life on the other side at The Apsara Rive Droite, a chic little hotel that puts the ou (la la) back into boutique. The peaceful waterside setting, designer furnishings and delicious food act as an opiate. Join the in-crowd at this intimate, exclusive bolthole and leave the herd behind.
Need to know
- Rooms Nine, set across a pair of restored buildings.
Double rooms from $127.27, excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($127) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast and return airport transfers.
- Facilities Free WiFi in public areas, bicycles, gardens. In rooms: minibar.
- Poolside Because of the small number of rooms, there’s a real sense of privacy by the pool. Although located on the banks of the Nam Khan, bamboo and tropical foliage hide it away from river traffic.
- Check-out Officially midday, but flexible depending on availability. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children To maintain the aura of escape, Rive Droite does not accept children under 12. Extra beds for older kids can be added to rooms for US$20 a night.
- Also A minimum two-night stay applies. Smoking is allowed on balconies and in outdoor areas only.
Food and drink at The Apsara Rive Droite
- Hotel restaurant Offering a small but effortlessly sophisticated menu, the kitchen at the Apsara Rive Droite takes its lead from mother hotel the Apsara just across the river. Sample tasty treats with a twist, including dried beef and lemongrass salad or spicy buffalo sausage.
- Dress code Floral silks and slick stripes to keep up with the Jim Thompson fabric designs on display.
- Top table During the dry season, position yourself outside and under the stars. If the rains are putting a dampener on things, then choose a cosy corner in the small bar-restaurant area.
- Last orders Dinner is served until 9pm, if you fancy a night in.
- Room service You’ll have to dress and hit the restaurant as there's no in-room menu. Feel smug afterwards that you've done some 'exercise'.
- Hotel bar The Rive Droite Bar is open from 8am–10pm and offers the pull of poolside cocktails as the day wears on. Try the lychee daiquiri to shake off (or turn up) the tropical torpor.
The Apsara Rive Droite Ban Phanluang, Luang Prabang
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at The Apsara Rive Droite
Dinner for two at the hotel's restaurant, excluding drinks
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Numbers 8 and 9 are poolside if all the little geckos are making you feel like a lounge lizard. Room 1 has expansive (but no more expensive) views over the river to town.
Some stylish silks from Jim Thompson, Thailand’s home of haute couture. You don’t own any? Oh, darling, make sure you do some emergency shopping while passing through the airport in Bangkok.
While everyone else is tuk-tuking around, guests at Rive Droite get to arrive in the centre of town on the hotel's own boat. Just hold those heels until you are on dry land though, Mrs Smith, as there are lots of stairs at either end of the crossing.