Style Ralph Lauren goes Fiji
Setting Sea-scoping headland
We’re smitten with wow-worthy Taveuni Palms hotel in Fiji, perched on a beachfront headland on tropical Taveuni Island. Its three spacious two-bedroom villas offer total privacy, pampering and seven staff each, with delicious food, spa treats and subtly stylish Fijian design. Understated luxury doesn’t get better.
Need to know
- Rooms Three exclusive-hire pool villas, each with two suites.
Double rooms from $1295.00, excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($1,295) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates cover welcome champagne and post-flight massage, all meals (including a five-course dinner), select non-alcoholic drinks, private dining, seven staff, hotel activities (guided snorkelling, kayaks, cooking lessons) and return Matei Airport transfers.
- Facilities Private beach, bikes, boat, kayaks, gardens, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod loaded with 500 songs, library of books, CDs, DVDs and board games, computer, fully stocked maxibar and kitchen, Pure Fiji toiletries, deck, hammock.
- Poolside Each villa comes with its own private plunge pool, flanked by shaded day-beds and dining areas with panoramic Pacific views. Spot live-aboard diving yachts sailing past while you lap and laze, or dolphins frolicking in the waves.
- Check-out 10am, but flexible subject to availability and a half-day rate. Check-in, 2pm (for guaranteed early check-in, you'll need to book the night before).
- Children Welcome, with intimate family time assured in Taveuni Palms' private villas. Baby cots and extra beds for children under six can be supplied for free. Free babysitting with a nanny and a kids' menu are also available. More...
- Also Alcohol, spa treatments, diving and excursions cost extra, as do golf and tennis (available nearby). Your villa staff includes a manager, two chefs, waiter, barman, housemaid and nanny, housed in separate quarters. Smoking is allowed outdoors only.
Food and drink at Taveuni Palms
In-villa dining is a private affair at Taveuni, with your personal chef whipping up a spread to suit your desires, served by your own waiter. Expect delicious breakfast fare such as Pacific muesli, papaya pancakes, coconut banana flapjacks, spicy omelettes and mango French toast. The wahoo fish tacos, marinated in a secret sauce, with papaya lime salsa, make a lip-smacking lunch, or opt for a Fijian or Indian curry. Dinner kicks off with sunset cocktails, followed by four fabulous courses, with pretty deck lights creating a magical mood. On a practical note, the team can cater for kosher, vegetarian and gluten-free diets (just fill in the pre-arrival questionnaire), or design a menu to suit you or the kids. Picnics and snacks for sightseeing trips are yours for the asking.
- Dress code Chic yet casual coastal wear (think Bali-meets-Fiji). This isn’t a place for people who want to glam up and go out; it’s about relaxed socialising chez-vous.
- Top table With each villa boasting five private dining locations, there’s no need to eat in the same spot twice. It’s hard to beat the table out on the deck, or snack by the pool or beach. If it rains, retreat indoors to your smart dining room.
- Last orders This is bespoke service at its best, so staff work around your body clock when it comes to dining or drinks. When you've reached the end of the cocktail road and are ready to call it a night, they'll dim the deck lights.
- Room service Available for free from 7am to 8pm (just press the intercom), with tempting treats such as fruit platters, pastries with banana jam, popcorn, French fries and Fijian pizza (Indian-style roti with tasty toppings).
Order drinks as and when you want indoors or out on your airy deck (we’re partial to the Grand Villa’s ‘cocktail corner’, a comfy configuration of lounge chairs on the upper deck with killer views; the lower deck's day-beds also beckon for sensuous sipping). Choose from local and imported beers, spirits, champagne, Australian and New Zealand wines, and tropical-inspired cocktails and smoothies (BYO is strictly by prior arrangement). Cigar aficionados can kick back with a Montecristo Havana, and the hotel's local band are happy to provide the soundtrack.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Taveuni Palms Matei, Taveuni Island, Fiji Islands
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Taveuni Palms
A free spa treatment for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each of the two-bedroom, two-bathroom villas is wow-worthy, but for the best wraparound sea views and gorgeous Mod-Pacific interiors, we love the three-acre Grand Villa, which enjoys the loftiest location atop the headland (bag the master bedroom for ocean vistas). The Lower Beach Villa is handiest for beach access; the Upper Horizon Villa, between the two, works a more Balinese style. All come with romantic outdoor double showers; the top two villas also sport white stone baths in courtyards.
Binoculars for scanning the azure horizon wouldn’t go amiss, but Taveuni’s savvy Brit/Kiwi owners have pretty much thought of everything, so just bring convivial companions to help you appreciate this peaceful paradise.
Spa treatments come to you, with therapists setting up massage tables on your open-air terrace (there’s no standalone spa). Drift off to the sounds of the sea and birdsong, as the long, sweeping Fijian stroke technique soothes away stress.