Southern Ocean Lodge
Style Unspoilt nature, unadulterated luxury
Setting High above Hanson Bay
Treading lightly on scrub-covered dunes above the sea, luxe Kangaroo Island boutique hotel Southern Ocean Lodge is an exquisite designer haven. Solitude, serenity and privacy are what guests are paying for – staying here you get the feeling there’s no-one else within miles (and there probably isn’t). Calming, contemporary interiors embrace the outdoors, with all-inclusive food, drinks and activities adding to a restful stay. Outside Australia's Galapagos awaits, from kangaroos and seals to wild beaches and spectacular coastal rocks.
Need to know
- Rooms 21 suites.
Double rooms from $1766.02 (AU$1,800), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (AU$1,800) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include all meals, open bar with premium wine and spirits, in-suite bar, selected Kangaroo Island experiences and island airport transfers.
- Facilities Destination spa, wine cellar, library lounge with board games and DVDs, mountain bikes. In rooms: free WiFi, sound system with MP3 input, minibar, Li’Tya toiletries and outdoor terrace with day-bed. Selected suites have flatscreen TVs, DVD players and EcoSmart fires.
- Poolside No full-size pool, but there’s an infinity-edge plunge pool outside on the terrace by the restaurant, plus hot tubs in the Remarkable Suites and Osprey Pavilion. A short walk away, Hanson Bay has consistent surf for a rough-and-tumble swim.
- Check-out 10.30am, but flexible subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Only kids over six years allowed. Extra beds can be provided for AU$350 when a child shares a suite with adults. More...
- Also There’s a minimum two-night stay. Multi-night packages are available, incorporating day-spa treatments, room upgrades and private island charter tours.
Food and drink at Southern Ocean Lodge
Head chef Jed Archdeacon conjures a five-course tasting menu or four-course à la carte employing local produce and wine. Dine inside in the soothing restaurant or outdoors on the viewtastic deck. Anglers, if you manage to snare something yourself from Hanson Bay, they will also gladly fillet and cook your catch.
- Dress code Organic linen separates in soothing neutrals will blend well with the photoshoot-fit lodge backdropped by nature.
- Top table Any of the six window-side seats lets you soak up that incredible unfettered view. On a warm night, try the sea-air-kissed terrace.
- Last orders Breakfast anytime from 7.30am to 10am; lunch from 12.30pm to 2.30pm; dinner from 7pm to 9pm, with pre-dinner cocktails and canapés at the bar.
- Room service Light snacks are available on request and minibars come well stocked.
- Hotel bar The open-plan bar in the Great Room is a curved wonder next to the restaurant. There’s not just a spectacular view to drink up for free – there’s also wine, beer and cocktails at your disposal. Aside from the premium list (which includes Penfolds’ Grange, Bollinger and Henschke’s Hill of Grace), alcohol is included in rates.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Southern Ocean Lodge Hanson Bay, Kangaroo Island, South Australia 5223
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Southern Ocean Lodge
A private wine-cellar dining experience for two
Current offers at Southern Ocean Lodge
Offers at Southern Ocean Lodge
In the know
Our favourite rooms
There are five grades of rooms here and unsurprisingly, top dog, the super-private Osprey Suite, is the pick of the bunch. Jaw-dropping views, separate sunken lounge, freestanding oval handmade stone bath and terrace spa, plus state-of-the-art audiovisual gadgets (including a laptop). On a more affordable tip, we also love the 11 Flinders Suites (which have dreamy day-beds for terrace chilling), and five Ocean Retreats (with fabulous freestanding tubs and fireplaces).
Leave your ego at home. Sure, you’re paying for the privilege of being here (and it is a privilege), but management takes a first-name-basis approach, and the vibe is casual and unfussed. Don’t expect to hear any obsequious ‘sirs’ or ‘ma’ms’.
Backed by an impressive limestone wall and with imported Roman floor tiles, the multi-faceted lobby area has something for everyone. The bar and restaurant occupy a large part of it, but there’s also a walk-in wine cellar in-the-round, a shop selling local produce, arts and crafts, a sunken lounge area with a too-cool French fireplace suspended from the ceiling, racks of quirky books and hip magazines, and an outdoor extension with a plunge pool.
From the Guestbook…
The most amazing hotel we have stayed in. We booked for two nights and as soon as we walked through the door wished we had booked for longer. If you get into a conversation with th...more