Sextantio Albergo Diffuso
Style Fortress conversion
Setting Scattered around Santo Stefano
Sextantio Albergo Diffuso is a brand new boutique concept: bits of the hotel are spread around a micro-village in the Italian Apennines. It’s a throw-back to the Middle Ages, with craftwork made by villagers, restoration-revived traditions and rustic simplicity maintaining the hilly hamlet’s mediaeval charm, but with modern luxury seamlessly incorporated.
Need to know
- Rooms 27, including seven suites.
Double rooms from $88.18 (€68), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€68) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast.
- Facilities Library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: minibar and artisan bath products.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible if there’s availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots and extra beds are provided free. Babysitting with a local nanny costs €15 an hour (give a day’s notice).
- Also For the less mobile, some of this rustic site's cobbled steps and grassy slopes might be tricky to navigate.
Food and drink at Sextantio Albergo Diffuso
- Hotel restaurant Locanda Sotto gli Archi serves Abruzzese cuisine in a rustic 16th-century building. Try traditional antipasti such as pork liver salami, prosciutto and the freshest ricotta. The speciality pasta of the area is also rustled up in the kitchens: strips of chitarrini are made using a guitar-shaped tool to shape the pasta sheets. A breakfast spread of home-made pastries, tarts and cakes is laid out in the bar every morning.
- Dress code Humble hemp and cotton to match the ancient earthen surroundings.
- Top table Close to the huge fireplace when the mountain temperature drops.
- Last orders Breakfast from 8am until 10.30am, lunch between 1pm and 3pm and dinner from 8pm until 10pm. The bar shuts at 11pm.
- Room service None.
- Hotel bar Head to La Cantinone in the cosy wine cellar for aperitifs and antipasti. If the local red doesn’t take your fancy, the digestifs will: try the bitter herb-based genziana, or the sweet cherry ratafia. There’s also the Liquorificio, where a selection of local liqueurs are offered, as well as benches with digestifs dotted around the communal areas.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Sextantio Albergo Diffuso Via Principe Umberto, Santo Stefano Sessanio, Abruzzo, 67020
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Sextantio Albergo Diffuso
Wine tasting on arrival; a tour of the village; and free mountain-bike and snowshoe hire. Members staying three nights or more also get dinner for two: a four-course tasting menu, including wine, water and coffee
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Palazzo delle Logge overlooks the village square and the Medici gate. For views out to the Apennines from the lounge and balcony, pick Casa sulle Botteghe. All the dimly lit and atmospheric rooms are minimalist and mediaeval, with working fireplaces, stone walls and wooden doors. The beds are high enough to fit a chamber pot beneath (there are real flushing toilets in each bedroom now) and have hand-stuffed woollen mattresses.
Dante and Petrarch verses to recite when the mediaeval mood takes over; mountain-friendly shoes and layers.
Stake out the library: a place of wooden beams and painted ceilings, where you can browse the odd ancient tome over afternoon tea.