Style Out of Africa
Setting Souk-side cul de sac
Behind a virtually unmarked wooden door in a winding medina sidestreet lies Riad Azzar, a traditional Marrakchi courtyard home adorned with African antiquities. Here the welcome is warmer than the roaring fire in the lounge and the service as immaculate as the bright white rooms.
Need to know
- Rooms Six, including one twin room and three suites.
Double rooms from $146.05 (€109), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €2.00 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€109) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Moroccan breakfast. You can rent the whole riad for €950–€1,150 a night (four-night minimum).
- Facilities In room beauty and massage treatments, library, CD selection. In rooms: free bottled water, Les Sens de Marrakech toiletries.
- Poolside Azzar’s palm-planted courtyard has a rich jade pool at its centre; ideal for cooling off in the sunshine or taking mint tea in the lantern-lit evening. If you’re more interested in warming up, there are loungers on the terrace to soak up the sun.
- Check-out 11am, but this may be flexible depending on subsequent arrivals. Check-in: 1pm.
- Children Cots are free for babies, and there are extra beds available (€35 for under 12s; otherwise, €50). Babysitting is €5 an hour, with two days’ notice.
- Also Smoking is allowed only on the terrace and patio.
Food and drink at Riad Azzar
- Hotel restaurant Fatima, the riad’s gifted cook, can produce excellent Moroccan dishes at all hours of the day. There’s a small area with cushioned banquettes off the courtyard that serves as a restaurant – but you can dine wherever you like.
- Dress code Cool and casual linens and sandals.
- Top table Take breakfast on the roof terrace and enjoying watching the medina morning.
- Last orders There are no set-in-stone opening times – you can get whatever you want, whenever you want it.
- Room service Drinks and snacks are available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar There’s no defined bar area; you can sip, sup and savour wherever you wish.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Riad Azzar 94 Derb Moulay Abdelkader, Marrakech, 40000
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Riad Azzar
A Myriam Mourabit-designed candleholder
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Suite Zemmour is the riad’s most romantic, with deep purple soft furnishings and a traditional, alcove-set Morrocan bed. The black marble bathroom includes a free-standing roll-top tub. On the first floor, Suite Taznarth has an hand-carved cedar balcony fitted with a violet banquette, as well as a fireplace and a pristine tadelakt bathroom. Suite Zayan also has a functioning fireplace, together with ornate wood-pannelled walls and a wispily draped four-poster. The rooms on the ground floor, although without air-con, are still pleasantly cool.
Riad Azzar is a (blessedly) TV-free zone, but if you do require cinematic sustenance, a portable DVD player will help. Otherwise, all you need is suitable shoes for strolling the souks. The terrace loungers come complete with sun hats.
The riad is closely involved with an educational initiative to provide secondary schooling for rural Moroccan girls, so make sure you’ve a few coins spare to help them with their cause. There’s a selection of in-room treatments available, including manicures pedicures, facials, waxing and massage.