Style Achingly hip haveli
Setting Shadow of Mehrangarh
Set in Jodhpur’s old walled city, in the shadow of majestic Mehrangarh Fort, Raas boutique hotel brings an 18th-century haveli (Maharaja’s mansion) bang up to date. A butler-serviced pool and smart alfresco dining may speak of the Med, but the call to prayer from a nearby mosque is a soul-stirring reminder that you’re in the heart of Rajasthan.
Need to know
- Rooms 39, including seven suites.
Double rooms from $164.61 (INR9,035), excluding tax at 5.15 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (INR9,035) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include continental breakfast and all taxes.
- Facilities Gardens, cushioned alcoves, spa treatment rooms, DVD/CD library, free WiFi throughout. In room: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, minibar, Kama Ayurveda toiletries. Suites in the Heritage Wing offer iPods.
- Poolside The 18-metre infinity pool brings a splash of Ibiza to the Indian desert, with white-canopied sunloungers, chilled tunes and switched-on bar service to boot. Book ahead for poolside yoga.
- Check-out Midday; check-in, 2pm. Both are flexible subject to availability for an additional fee.
- Children Junior Smiths are welcome at Raas. Baby cots are free, and extra beds for under 12s cost INR2,300 a night. Babysitting can be arrange for INR300 an hour. More...
- Also Pet dogs and cats are welcome, and smoking is allowed in outside sitting areas.
Food and drink at Raas
Raas has two: white-hot Bandari Restaurant, which offers elegant indoor dining and sun-drenched poolside posing; and elevated Dari Khana, a relaxed space of cushioned banquettes, candle-lit tables and scene-stealing fort views. Chef Vishal Gautam has crafted a crowd-pleasing menu of Indian classics, Thai treats and Mediterranean favourites, with authentic Rajasthani fare a highlight of Dari Khana. In keeping with the observances of the Old City, the kitchens are pork- and beef-free zones.
- Dress code Smart and simple, with a dash of safari-chic. A pashmina to throw around your shoulders during winter months.
- Top table Bandari's billowing drapes, crisp table cloths and shadow-casting lanterns are seriously seductive.
- Last orders The restaurants and bar stay open until 10.30pm, though may close earlier during the low season.
- Room service You can dial up a margherita pizza, pad Thai or club sandwich around the clock.
With a bird's-eye view of both the pool and Mehrangarh, the Roofttop Bar offers a pinch-me-quick set of sights. Sip on a mojito as you watch the sun set and the lights of the fort begin to twinkle.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Raas Tunvar ji ka Jhalra, , Makrana Mohalla, Jodhpur, Rajasthan, 342001
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Raas
A fruit basket. Guests staying two nights or more also get a heritage tour; for three-night stays, you'll also get a cooking class and dinner set-up (food and drinks extra). For four nights or more, return transfers and a bottle of wine are thrown in.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Set within the original Rajput residence, the three Old Wing Suites are the last word in romance. Rose-hued sandstone, carved jaali screens and splashes of Brahmin blue set the tone for these luxury abodes. Outdoor terraces lead into dimly lit living areas with cool tile floors and stone walls. Low-slung king-size beds and sumptuous freestanding bath tubs are fit for a Maharani.
Sari-fabulous wraps, feather-light cottons and broad-brimmed hats for Mrs Smith. Mr Smith, look to owner Nikhilendra's designer desert kit of crisp linen shirts, khaki cotton pants and aviator shades. If you don't want to wake with the pre-dawn azan from Laiquan mosque, use the earplugs provided in each room, but we reckon you're missing out on this melodic start to the day.
Slip into Serena Spa for downright delicious treatments that include a papaya body polish, Ayurvedic herbal scrub, or honey-sesame session that'll leave you smelling like a lovely chunk of halva.