QT Port Douglas
Style Miami spice
Setting Tropical Queensland gardens
The heat's been turned up and the tropical tone set at QT Port Douglas boutique hotel. Juicy citrus hues, quirky design and staff dressed in retro Hamptons style add to the fun. Rooms sparkle with dazzling cushions and funky fittings, but it’s the indoor-outdoor lobby, bar and restaurant that bring the wow.
Need to know
- Rooms 170, including two suites.
Double rooms from $141.93 (AU$145), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (AU$145) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include free hire of QT’s gorgeous vintage-style bicycles and use of the lap pool, gym and tennis courts. The breakfast buffet at Bazaar isn’t included in room rates, but costs AU$28 (or AU$18 for kids).
- Facilities Restaurant, bars, spa, pool, gym, tennis courts, outdoor cinema during Australian winter, free guest bikes, gardens, concierge, boutique, on-site and valet parking. In rooms: minibar, WiFi or broadband internet (75 cents a minute or AU$29 a day), flatscreen HD TV, Uspa toiletries.
- Poolside The sprawling lagoon-shaped pool is surrounded by white sunloungers and has an island deck with shaded ‘pod’ smack-dab in the middle (for those who like being the centre of attention). Paddle to the swim-up bar, avoiding the flock of gigantic rubber ducks that bob lazily on the water's surface. There's also a 25-metre lap pool for those who need their daily dose of exercise.
- Check-out 11am; check-in, 2pm, both flexible subject to availability.
- Children They’re welcome, and Port Douglas is a great family-friendly destination. Cots for bubs can be added to rooms free of charge; extra beds cost AU$65 a night. More...
- Also Love that scented candle in the metal pineapple in your room? Feel like a jar of lollies? Coveting the Uspa shampoo? You can buy them all, and more, at boutique QTique in the lobby, including quirky Able & Game cards, Slinkies and cockatoo lamps.
Food and drink at QT Port Douglas
First, your eyes will bulge. Then, depending on your willpower, so will your belly. Bazaar, QT Port Douglas’s restaurant, offers a contemporary buffet that’s not only popular with hotel guests but also draws in the locals. Open on two sides, it’s surrounded by a trickling pond full of oversized carp (one suspects they are sneakily fed by diners). Through the walls of the enormous glass fridges you'll see the fabulous produce the creative chefs fashion into a multitude of delicacies. Start with salad and seafood – full marks for tackling the king crab claws – then move on to the next station, where you’ll find dishes from around the world and a team of chefs ready to cook steaks to order and Asian specialties from the wok. Save room for the sinful desserts. Breakfast is equally generous, boasting juices, healthy cereals, fruit and yoghurt, as well as an egg and waffle station.
- Dress code Sure, it's the epitome of relaxation, but because Bazaar is a favourite spot for local celebrations people tend to go to some effort. Collared shirt, long trews for him; a pretty sundress and sandals for her.
- Top table Even though it means the longest walk to the buffet, ask for a table at the end of the restaurant, overlooking the pond and pool.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 6.30am until 10.30am; dinner until 10pm. The Pool Bar is open until 5pm; Estilo keeps pouring until 11pm.
- Room service Wood-fired pizzas, salads, burgers and other light meals can be delivered to your room between 11.30am and 10pm.
Estilo is a fresh take on the hotel drinking hole. A stone-clad bar is the centerpiece of an interior that lets the sun shine in. Zingy citrus highlights, including a yellow-topped pool table, keep the tropical vibe coming, as does the large airy deck with tables and booths. Enjoy coffee, cocktails or lunch here – the menu has wood-fired pizzas, fresh seafood, antipasto plates and plenty of other tempting snacks – but be warned: there’s a TV showing silent looped footage from 1950s surfing movies that has a tendency to mesmerise. The swim-up Pool Bar is the go-to spot when the temperature outside really heats up.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
QT Port Douglas 87-109 Port Douglas Road, Port Douglas, Queensland 4877
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at QT Port Douglas
A bottle of bubbles plus a late check-out at midday
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Park yourself and that book you've been meaning to read for months on the balcony of a One-Bedroom Pool View Villa. When your eyes get too droopy for comprehending great literature, you'll be able to spy on poolside shenanigans. For those who like the quieter life, the Garden View Villas bring the serenity. You might even spot one of the resident peacocks that roam the grounds.
Get with the programme: you’ll look right at home in pastel shades and tropical prints here. A wide-brimmed hat, for lounging by the pool and on the deck of the bar, wouldn’t go astray either.
During Australia's winter months, QT hosts Moonlight Cinema (www.moonlight.com.au) on a patch of lawn. Enjoy something delicious to eat and drink while watching a flick – it could be the latest release or a cult or classic film – on the state-of-the-art outdoor screen. SpaQ offers indoor thrills.