Style Action-packed estate
Setting Flora, fauna and fairways
A modern Blue Ridge Mountain hideaway, Primland hotel entices golfers, stargazers, outdoors adventurers and good old-fashioned sybarites to indulge their passions, get back to nature, and be pampered into serenity along the way…
Need to know
- Rooms 32 suites, including six cottages.
Double rooms from $288.00, excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($288) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude an à la carte breakfast (from US$22).
- Facilities Spa, observatory, wine room, games room (with Wii, Xbox 360, ping pong and billiards), gym, tennis courts, Highland Course, DVD and CD library, library, spa and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, fridge, wet bar, coffeemaker, CD/DVD player and L’Occitane or Culti bath products.
- Poolside The heated and chlorine-free indoor pool opens onto a lounger-dotted terrace with a fire pit which can be booked for catered private parties.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children Very welcome, with plenty of child-friendly distractions on offer. Cots and beds can be added to rooms free and babysitting is available for US$20 an hour with 24 hours’ notice. More...
- Also Natural, American-Indian healing therapies and organic products are used in all spa treatments such as the lemon verbena body polish, a 60-minute exfoliating treatment. Afterwards, the therapist will reveal which animal describes your personality.
Food and drink at Primland
American-French fusion-fuelled Elements is the formal option; all glass-enclosed fireplace, linen tables and Wagyu beef. Crispy bass with Tuscan ham, grits and shrimp is a menu highlight, and the butter topped with Pop Rocks is a shouldn’t-work-but-does revelation. The casual option, 19th Pub, serves an all-day Southern menu of salads, steaks and chicken wings. Stop by Stables Saloon for prime cuts of grass-fed beef and cocktails (opens seasonally). The spa serves lighter fare, such as ahi tuna and melon, yoghurt, fruit and fresh juices.
- Dress code Mr Smiths play it preppy cool with a Ralph Lauren blazer and flat-front khakis. Ladies will look the part in an elegant dress in evergreen or navy hues with a wide leather belt.
- Top table Pick the chef's table to watch Andrea Griffith work her magic, just be sure to book at least a week in advance for the nine-course menu.
- Last orders In Elements, grab breakfast before 10am and book your dinner slot between 6pm and 10pm; pull up a stool at 19th Pub from 11am to 11pm. Stables Saloon cocktail shakers are in motion from 6pm to 9pm, Thursday to Saturday.
- Room service Order fresh fruit, hush puppies with smoked maple butter, spinach salad with goat’s cheese, Kobe beef burgers and more, between 7am and 11pm.
Soundtracked with a mix of country, folk and indie, the 19th Pub offers a laid-back spot to unwind after you wrap up your game. Pull up to a tall table and order a beer, single malt or creative cocktail. Take your tipple out to sip by the fire pit on the terrace. Stables Saloon’s mixologists are happy to shake up your favourite drink; beer and wine are available as well.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Primland 2000 Busted Rock Road, Meadows of Dan, Virginia 24120
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Primland
A bottle of champagne
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For panoramic views of the golf course backed by the azure haze of the mountains, it's hard to beat the Pinnacles Suite. Housed in a repurposed grain silo, which also holds the library and observatory, this two-storey suite has a spiral staircase leading to the loft bedroom. We also love the Mountain Suites with rich hard-wood flooring and plush leather couches. Room L15 has the largest balcony and the best views. In search of a more scenic family reunion? Book one of the three Fairway Cottages between the 10th and 18th holes – there’s space for up to 16 people; each one has its own putting green.
Forget stilettos and fancy duds and don cosy sweaters and knee-high riding boots. Bring night-vision goggles to catch the nocturnal wildlife in action.
Primland is BIG: it takes close to half an hour just to drive across the estate. As you make your way through the main gates, you’ll see signs that introduce you to the natives: whitetail deer, wild turkeys and berry-seeking bears.