Post Ranch Inn
Style Dramatic cliffhanger
Setting Redwood forest above the Pacific
The cabins and cottages at Post Ranch Inn are strung along a rocky-ridged slip of Californian cliff. These recycled-redwood rooms offer total seclusion and nothing but soaring condors, starry nights, breathtaking views and a wood-burning fire for company. The only reason to venture out from your peaks-and-Pacific isolation will be for some divine dining at Sierra Mar or a soothing treatment in the spa.
Need to know
- Rooms 39, including six suites.
Double rooms from $1150.00, excluding tax at 10.5 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of $2.00 per room per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($1,150) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Spa, gym, CD and book library, free WiFi in the rooms and library. In rooms: CD player, iPod dock, handmade Post Ranch Inn bath products, bottled water and two half-bottles of wine.
- Poolside There are three heated infinity pools in the grounds – one lined with sea-weathered jade, a stainless steel one, and a lap pool by reception.
- Check-out 1pm. Check-in, 4pm.
- Children Leave them at home - this hotel is only open to adults ages 18 and up.
- Also There’s a free minibar in the rooms, stocked with snacks and non-alcohol drinks.
Food and drink at Post Ranch Inn
- Hotel restaurant Sierra Mar is a ranch-style restaurant with sweeping views of the mountains, cliffs and ocean, its wooden-beamed interior edged with enormous windows to showcase the sights. The acclaimed chef adds new dishes to the menu daily, whipping up Californian fare with some French and Mediterranean influences – look out for the trio of scallops, roast rabbit and Alaskan halibut.
- Dress code Match the views out of the window with a shot of ocean blue, aquamarine or turquoise.
- Top table As close to the window as you can get, or by the banquette in the centre by night.
- Last orders Breakfast is 8am–10.30am, lunch is 12.15pm–3pm and dinner is served up 5.30pm–8.45pm. The bar is open 12pm–3.15pm and 5.30pm–8.45pm.
- Room service You can order in room service between 12.15pm–8.45pm, choosing from the daily dinner menu or the room service one (encompassing pizzas, salads and burgers).
- Hotel bar There’s a bar in the restaurant. Be sure to try the lavender martini, made fresh from the organic garden.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Post Ranch Inn Highway 1, Big Sur, Big Sur, CA 93920
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Post Ranch Inn
US$50 towards lunch at Sierra Mar
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Pfeiffer is a cocoon of redwood with a secluded setting at the end of the cabins. Other humans will be hard to come by – all you can see is sparkling ocean, wild flowers and trees. We love the triple veranda, and the re-used redwood lining the walls in Ross.
A journal so you scribble some verse – this land’s-end location is sure to make you come over all poetic.
The spa makes all of its own products using Big Sur’s flowers, picked from the high meadows on the estate. Book in for a ‘duet massage’ and let four hands see to your aches and pains, or be brave and risk a soul-retrieving shaman session.