Style Classic Catalan cool
Setting Beside Barrio Gotico
Behind its neoclassical façade, Ohla Hotel combines minimalist interiors with a red-hot rooftop pool and Michelin-starred restaurant. This former department store on the site of an old palace was renovated with assistance from artist and sculptor Frederic Amat, whose surreal ceramic ‘eyes’ adorn the building.
Need to know
- Rooms 74, including 24 junior suites and one suite duplex.
Double rooms from $263.81 (€205), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional government tax of €2.50 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€205) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Some rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Gym and wellness centre, sauna, hair salon, library, DVD library, terrace and free WiFi throughout. In rooms: Prija natural toiletries, flatscreen TV, iPod dock and minibar.
- Poolside The glass-sided unheated rooftop pool is surrounded by white leather loungers and cabanas, offering unparalleled views of the city.
- Check-out 12 noon. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Kids are welcome. Extra beds (€52.50 a night in a junior suite) and cots (free on request, subject to availability) can be added to rooms. Babysitting is available with a local nanny, subject to availability.
- Also In-room massages are available on request. Two standard rooms are adapted for wheelchair users.
Food and drink at Ohla Hotel
Ohla Hotel has two restaurants, each with a singular style and menu. On the ground floor, the relaxed Ohla Gastrobar serves creative tapas dishes and has an industrial, slightly masculine feel, with high ceilings, concrete pillars and huge slate tiles lining the bar and open kitchen. Even the locals are getting excited about award-winning chef Xavier Franco’s innovative tapas plates – try the baked cod croquettes. For more formal dining, cross the suspended walkway over the lobby to reach low-lit and intimate Saüc Restaurant and discover why Xavier Franco’s reinterpreted Catalan cuisine has earned it a Michelin star.
- Dress code Saüc deserves your finest frock, but understated Spanish chic is fine for everywhere else.
- Top table For a view of Ohla Gastrobar’s bustling open kitchen, ask for a bar-side stool at the counter. Saüc’s window-side tables are best for people-watching.
- Last orders Ohla Gastrobar is open from 7am until 1am daily. Saüc Restaurant serves lunch between 1.30pm and 3.30pm; dinner from 8.30pm until 10.30pm, Tuesday to Saturday. Reservations are required.
- Room service Room service is available 24 hours a day and includes appetisers, sandwiches, fish and meat plates, desserts and cheeses.
Sink into one of the quirky lipstick-red tulip chairs with a dry martini or signature G&T lovingly crafted by Max or Giuseppe, Ohla Boutique Bar’s award-winning barmen. Open every day until 2am (3am on Fridays and Saturdays). During the summer months, the rooftop terrace is perfect for an al fresco twilight sundowner – try a Mulata Mojito, made with Havana 3, mint, lime, vanilla sugar, yellow Chartreuse, pure chocolate liquor and soda. Oh, and gold dust.
Ohla Hotel Via Laietana, 49, Barcelona, 08003
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Ohla Hotel
A bottle of wine or cava
Current offers at Ohla Hotel
Offers at Ohla Hotel
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Standard rooms overlook the inner garden or Comtal pedestrian street; bag room 602 for its large walk-in shower. Design rooms are airy and open-plan so be prepared to abandon inhibitions. Room 603 has large floor-to-ceiling windows and a view over the Palauet de la Musica from the shower. The light and spacious junior suites have a living room and huge arched windows. We love room 508 for its dark, sexy bathroom with rain shower and separate bath overlooking Via Laietana.
A notebook for jotting down Max and Giuseppe’s cocktail recipes and a favourite frock/shirt for sampling them on the rooftop terrace. If the nights are chilly the hotel provides pashminas. Leave techy bits behind: the hotel has a variety of DVDs, Playstation games, and a laptop or iPad.
An à la carte room personalisation service is available on request; choose your pillows, amenities and even the aroma of your sheets.