Style New England nautical
Setting St Mawes, near water
A few minutes’ walk from Roseland’s beaches, Nearwater, a boutique bed and breakfast in scenic St Mawes, is a three-room labour of love. Its owners, Tim and Amelia, who have completely transformed the 1970 house to create a cosy, cultured crash pad for those in search of low-key luxury – and a cracking breakfast.
Need to know
- Rooms Three rooms, and a self-catering annex, sleeping two.
Double rooms from $120.90 (£79), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£79) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually include breakfast – except for the self-catering annex.
- Facilities Gardens, book and DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock, free bottled water, White Company toiletries.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible depending on when the next guests arrive. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children Kids are welcome, but there are no special facilities or price reductions.
- Also Small, well-behaved dogs can stay for £10 a night – just hope they get on with Musto, the resident dachshund.
Food and drink at Nearwater
- Hotel restaurant Nearwater’s a B&B, so victuals are limited to breakfast – but what a breakfast. Amelia’s full English is approaching the status of Cornish legend and the daily specials are equally appetising – pray you’re there on pancake day.
- Dress code Light and loose in summer; at other times bring extra layers for the winter winds.
- Top table There’s a communal breakfast table indoors, but in summer, it’s all about the terrace.
- Room service None, but there’s a pantry stocked with tea, coffee, milk and biscuits on the first floor.
- Hotel bar None, but the pubs of St Mawes are within wandering distance.
Nearwater Nearwater, Polvarth Road, St Mawes, Cornwall TR2 5AY
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Nearwater
A box of local fudge and 10 per cent off skippered yacht charter
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Only three, each identified by a charming chalkboard hung from the door. We’d book (and re-book) the Cabin, a light, bright and sailing-themed room with a boat-style bed hand-built by a shipwright from the superyacht yards at nearby Pendennis. The porthole mirror and concertina doors add to the maritime mood. Percuil (named for its views of the eponymous river) has two skylights above the bed – perfect for night-time stargazing. Summers, the biggest room, has twin beds that can become a double, and is decked out (no pun intended) with rush mats and shell-print cushions. The self-catering annex, Trefusis, has a full kitchen, patio and a separate entrance.
The beach is less than three minutes’ wander away, so: swimwear, beach towels, buckets, spades, sandwiches, weather-related optimism…
There are bikes and kayaks available for hire. Tim, the owner, is an expert on walks along the Roseland Peninsula, and he and his wife Amelia have a shrimp boat available for day (£150) and half-day (£75) trips.