Namale Resort & Spa
Style Fijian coastal cool
Setting Rainforest meets ocean
Luxurious coast-hugging Namale Resort & Spa boutique hotel in Fiji's tropical north-east likes to play Cupid, with romantic boudoirs bound to make everyone feel like they're on honeymoon. Each room is unique, private outdoor dining is de rigueur and the opulent Fiji-inspired spa is a must for hydrotherapy hounds. Set on the country's second largest island Vanua Levu, Namale offers a raft of activities, from golf to village visits, but we reckon it's the perfect place to bask by your plunge pool and just ogle ocean views. Past guests Ed Norton, Anthony Hopkins and Russell Crowe can't be wrong...
Need to know
- Rooms 19, including one two-bedroom villa.
Double rooms from $975.00, excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($975) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include all à la carte meals, alcoholic, minibar and soft drinks, transfers, laundry, turndown service, access to fitness centre, entertainment and hydrotherapy rooms, WiFi, and most activities (such as motorised sports, golf and snorkelling).
- Facilities Spa, gym, nine-hole golf course with 18 tee boxes, golf driving range, indoor basketball court, entertainment room (with virtual golf simulator, billiards table,Fussball, table hockey, projector screen and two 10-pin bowling alleys), DVD/CD library, free WiFi throughout, gardens. In room: CD player, minibar, iPod dock, drop-down screen and Apple Entertainment System (including projector, 600 movies and 13,000 songs; in villas only), Pure Fiji toiletries, decks. Some rooms have double showers, others Jacuzzi spa tubs, and upper-tier rooms boast private plunge pools.
- Poolside Namale has two spacious main pools, lined with lush vegetation and loungers, but it's the offshore inflatable water trampoline that caught our eye. Kayak out to it then bounce to your heart's content. Honeymoon Bures, Villas and the Dream House all sport private plunge pools, too, so you may not even need to venture out to take to the water.
- Check-out 10am, but flexible subject to availability. Check-in, 11am.
- Children Couples-retreat Namale only caters for children aged 12 or above, unless you hire out the whole resort for an exclusive event, so leave the smalls at home.
- Also Smoking is allowed at the hotel, but pets are not permitted. Rates include return transfers between Namale and nearby Savusavu Airport on Vanua Levu. Spa treatments cost extra.
Food and drink at Namale Resort & Spa
Bure Levu, Namale's restaurant, is set in a grand, traditional thatched bure, with soaring ceilings, ornate decoration and an alfresco deck dotted with trees. An eclectic menu of local and international dishes draws heavily on local produce, from fish to tropical fruit. Typical treats include oven-baked grouper fish with wilted greens and salsa or grilled scallops with sauteed vegetables and curry sauce. Generous breakfasts, three-course lunches and five-course dinners are all included in rates, as is all alcohol, from American whisky to French champagne.
- Dress code Elegant beachwear by day, but glam up at night as the trad vibe here creates quite a sophisticated feel.
- Top table Snaffle a table by the windows or out on the terrace where views out to sea are sure to seduce. Namale prides itself on its private outdoor dining, too, with the chance to eat à deux on a romantic terrace, by the beach or beside a waterfall.
- Last orders The dining bure is open from 7am to 11pm, with no set dinner time; the bar is in business from 7am to 11pm, although peak time is around 7pm.
- Room service Anything you fancy from the daily-changing menus is up for grabs during restaurant hours. If you have any minibar drink preferences let the team know in advance, so they can source your preferred wine type or tipple for you.
Nestled in the corner of the main dining bure, Bure Levu Bar is a seductive little affair with a curvy, cocktail-toting bar and comfy lounge chairs circling coffee-tables. Make sure you order signature sip the Namale Special, a totally tropical mix of dark and light Fijian rum, coconut cream and liqueur, and hand-picked fruits from the hotel's orchards. For drinking experiences of a more unexpected nature, attend a kava ceremony in the Bure, when guests gather with staff around the kava bowl to share this lip-numbing liquor.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Namale Resort & Spa Hibiscus Highway, Savusavu, Vanua Levu, Savusavu, Fiji
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Namale Resort & Spa
Private outdoor dinner for two, a free Hydrotherapy Room spa experience for two, plus early check-in and late check-out, if available
In the know
Our favourite rooms
A tough call, given that each room is unique. Ocean Tropical Bures edge out Garden Tropical Bures thanks to their magical sea views. Award-winning oceanside Honeymoon Bure Nanise is pretty special, too, perched on two volcanic boulders linked by a little bridge walk (we're liking the Jacuzzi, plunge pool and double shower). All the spacious Villas have the wow-factor, but if you're travelling with pals the two-bedroom Dream House is ideal, with lavish Fijian styling, indoor and outdoor showers, a spa bath, a wraparound deck for dining and a glam pool sexily lit by night.
There's a small beach at Namale, but the fringing reef shelf makes it hard to just wade out and swim directly offshore. Bring your best coastal chill-out kit though, as there are plenty of serene spots for waterside lounger action. And depending on your activity of choice, bring the gear to match (the resort offers everything from golf to horseriding, with diving and snorkelling trips further afield).
Namale's ace card is its top-notch spa, built dramaticaly into the cliffside with serenity-boosting ocean views. Customised treatments start with a Journey of the Senses to select your preferred scent profile, noted for all following treatments (think gardenia, pineapple or coconut). Make time for a float in the Hydrotherapy Room pools, where a gushing waterfall is perfect for an ad hoc back massage.