Maldives Islands, Maldives
Style Romantic beach retreat
Setting Reef-fringed Veligandu Huraa
Elegant Naladhu boutique hotel in the Maldives' South Male Atoll offers just 19 intimate beach houses set between a lagoon and the sea. Luxurious living spaces spill over into the outdoors, with each room boasting its own private pool, romantic semi-outdoor bath and shower. Dive, snorkel or swim in pristine turquoise waters, dine on the sand, or just sink into the warm embrace of the spa.
Need to know
Rates Please call our 24-hour Travel Team on 1 800 464 2040 to get exclsuive Smith rates for this hotel.
- Rooms 19, with a choice of sea-view Ocean Houses or lagoon-facing Beach Houses.
- More details Room rates include à la carte breakfast. For stays from 1 January 2013, tax will increase to 18.8 per cent.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library of books and DVDs, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, preloaded iPod, minibar (pre-stocked with your requested goodies), espresso machine, T2 tea, L'Occitaine toiletries, private pools.
- Poolside A small streamlined pool by the main restaurant overlooks the lagoon, flanked by inviting sunloungers, but you'll be hard-pressed to leave the gorgeous private pool that comes with your room, in-set with a semi-outdoor glass-sided bath for cheeky views.
- Check-out 12pm, but flexible subject to availability and a charge of 50 per cent of the day rate. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome, although this is more of a romantic adult resort. Baby cots are available, as is babysitting with hotel staff. More...
- Also A seven-night minimum stay applies during peak season (24 December–8 January). Smoking is allowed at outdoor restaurants or on the terrace.
Food and drink at Naladhu
Sit inside or out at Naladhu's restaurant the Living Room, a thatched-roof space with an open-air hardwood deck overlooking the lagoon.
It serves up beautifully presented contemporary international dishes from breakfast through to dinner, drawing on fresh market ingredients, but naturally, given the aquatic location, fish is the star attraction. Expect treats such as red snapper with macadamia-nut crust, bok choy, spicy lemongrass and coconut or grilled Tiger prawns with goats cheese ravioli and asparagus. Candles and fire torches up the romance factor at dusk, when the pool deck or sand makes a swell spot for soaking up the sunset.
- Dress code Upscale beach chic
- Top table Dine in private on your room deck, in a beach cabana, in a coconut grove by firelight or enjoy a candlelight picnic on the power-white beach. You can even arrange dinner on private island hideaway Guli Fushi nearby or aboard a dhoni sailing boat.
- Last orders Dinner is served from 6pm–10.30pm at the Living Room, or guests can choose to dine at eight nearby sister island restaurants at Anantara Dhigu and Veli.
- Room service Available 24 hours a day, offering a full menu. Each room has a round table, which can be dressed with a linen tablecloth and all the trimmings, ideal for dining à deux.
There isn't a standalone bar, but the Living Room offers a well-stocked wine cellar and regular wine tasting sessions, or you can hit the bars at recommended sister island resorts just a few minutes' boat ride across the bay.
Naladhu Veligandu Huraa, South Malé Atoll, Republic of Maldives
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Naladhu
A personalised wine-tasting for two
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Choose between views of crashing Indian Ocean waves from the more private Ocean Houses, or serene lagoon vistas in the palm-fringed Beach Houses. Both are classically elegant and embrace the outdoors, with personal pools, day-beds and a dining pavilion, as well as a seductive semi-alfresco bath and steam room fringed by frangipani.
You'll find a holiday survival kit in your room, including beach bag, hats, sunscreen and mosquito repellant, but bring yoga gear or an underwater camera if you're feeling active – or a cracking book if you'd rather relax.
Each room is assigned a House Master (butler) who is at your service at any time. Just ask if you fancy a spa treatment in your room, or take the atmospheric boat journey to sister resort Anantara Dhigu on a nearby island just across the bay, where award-winning over-water Anantara Spa awaits.