Style Danish-Dutch designer pad
Setting Water-edged woodland
Moulin Renaudiots is a vine-clad 17th-century millhouse, hidden in the Burgundy hills for hundreds of years before it was renovated and modernised in grown-up Gallic fashion. Re-imagined as a stylish and serene retreat, it backs onto a bubbling stream, surrounded by lush woodland. Inside there's a peaceful balance between the original stone and wood features, modern artwork and rustic furnishings. Guest rooms are generously sized, overlooking peaceful gardens and the surrounding hills – your hosts, Trevor and Evelyne, have mastered the art of tranquil teamwork.
Need to know
- Rooms Five.
Double rooms from $156.70 (€122), excluding tax at 7 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €1.00 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€122) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a bountiful buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Library, free WiFi throughout, free parking, terraced gardens, Sephora products, fireplaces in some rooms.
- Poolside There's a sleek black-lined swimming pool in the grounds, close to the stream.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children Cots cost €10; extra beds are €30. The restaurant does a children’s menu.
- Also Pets are allowed in St André and St Pierre.
- Hotel closed 12 November until early April.
Food and drink at Moulin Renaudiots
There’s a table d’hôte on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays, when the small black tables in the lounge are pushed together to make a big communal one. Trevor does the cooking, a mix of modern and traditional French food, with menus based on what’s fresh and what takes his fancy that day. Typical dishes include pigeon with cassis sauce, and veal with mushroom risotto, accompanied by wines from the area.
- Dress code As comfortable as you’d be in your own (stylish) home.
- Top table There’s only one, but you’ll be seated opposite your partner. In summer, guests dine outside on the terrace.
- Last orders Trevor and Evelyne have to turn in at some point, so they'll only prepare your beverages until midnight. Dinner is served on Mondays, Saturdays and Sundays.
- Room service None.
There’s no formal bar area, but owners Trevor and Evelyne will bring you drinks in the lounge or on the terrace, any time up until midnight; their speciality apéro is a Kir Royale, made with their own crème de cassis. Tea, coffee and soft drinks are free.
Moulin Renaudiots Chemin du Vieux Moulin, 71400 Autun
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Moulin Renaudiots
Two tickets to the Musée Rolin in Autun
In the know
Our favourite rooms
St André has lots of light, a working fireplace, an Ercol wood-framed settee, concrete floors and direct access to the garden and pool. Pick Arroux if you fancy hardwood floors, lots of space and views of the terraced gardens; it also has an antique armoire and a reading nook upstairs on the loft level. St Andoche has an open bathroom with freestanding bathtub, and the finest views around – of Mont Beuvray and the gardens.
Hiking boots and history books – for the forest and Autun antiquities respectively.