Style Imposing Iberian icon
Setting City-centre squares
Proudly positioned in the city’s bustling Plaza de Santa Ana, ME Madrid hotel’s dramatic 1919 façade belies the extensive modern reinvention within. Once a favoured hangout for Madrid’s matadors, this tower-topped hotel is now home-from-home to a glamorous crowd of fashionistas, financiers and fiesta-seekers in search of fine food, knockout panoramas and an unbeatable central setting.
Need to know
- Rooms 192, including 12 suites.
Double rooms from $198.46 (€154), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€154) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€25 each).
- Facilities Small gym, library, DVD/CD selection, free WiFi throughout, valet parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock, minibar, Aveda toiletries.
- Poolside There’s no pool at the hotel, but guests get discounted entrance to nearby Spa Excellence, which has hydrotherapy and plunge pools, as well as a Turkish bath and sauna.
- Check-out Noon, but you can leave later for a fee of €10 an hour. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots are free for babies, but older kids will need their own room. Babysitting can be booked a day ahead for €20 an hour. There’s a children’s menu in the Midnight Rose restaurant.
- Also Pets are welcome for a charge of €50 a night. Non-smoking rooms are available on request.
Food and drink at ME Madrid
Decorated in sleek black with an orange accent, ME Restaurant has become one of Madrid’s most in-demand dining rooms. The accomplished international menu comes courtesy of Jaime Renedo, who trained at El Bulli. The platter of four miniature hamburgers – each with a different flavour – is a favourite. There’s a startlingly good-value three-course menu del dia available every lunchtime for €15, as well as a selection of sushi and traditional tapas served in the bar.
- Dress code Although you can wear whatever you like, the fashion-flaunting clientele will be expecting D+G.
- Top table To secure some romantic seclusion, ask to be seated in one of the booths lining the edge of the restaurant.
- Last orders In typically Spanish fashion, meals are served late, with lunch available between 1pm and 4pm and dinner served between 9pm and midnight. The Penthouse is usually open all evening, until 2am.
- Room service Meals, drinks and snacks can be brought to your boudoir round the clock.
Open in summer, the Roof on the top hotel is thronged by in-the-know Madrileños, with killer cocktails, cushion-loaded wooden sofas and sweeping views of the cityscape. Down on the ground floor, ME Restaurant has a suitably sultry bar area adorned with two wall-mounted bull’s heads – a nod to the hotel’s past as a matadors’ haunt.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
ME Madrid 14 Plaza de Santa Ana, Madrid, 28012
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at ME Madrid
Free parking (normally €28 plus tax), cocktails for two with lunch or dinner, early check-in and late check-out (if available), and VIP entrance to the Roof Lounge
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Book one of the Mode suites for people-watching panoramas over Plaza de Santa Ana or Plaza del Ángel (request one overlooking the larger Santa Ana for enchanting views of the Teatro Español). Several of ME Madrid’s suites belong to ‘the Level’ – a sort of VIP category that gives guests access to Nintendo Wiis, Nespresso machines, a private lounge and a door-opening, guest-list-securing concierge service. Of these, the two-tiered, two-terraced Tower Suite is the most spectacular – it’s situated at the top of the hotel and looks out over the rooftops of Madrid. The Aura Rooms are on the small side, and only have views of the interior patio.
Don’t waste valuable luggage space with fiddly plug adaptors – all ME Madrid’s rooms are fitted with international power sockets. And there’s no need to worry about a soundtrack to your stay; preloaded iPods are available to borrow.
As a guest, you can pamper yourself silly at Spa Excellence (round the corner in Plaza Santa Ana) for a special rate of €30 a day. There’s a wide range of classes (Pilates, yoga, step, Tai Chi, hip hop and then some), and a near-endless menu of massages and natural treatments, including wine therapy (not drinking the stuff, sadly) and Ayurveda.
From the Guestbook…
A funky modern hotel in a very convenient location. Not to be missed is a trip to La Terraza del Casino de Madrid, a short 10-minute walk away from the hotel. This top restaurant h...more