Style Volcanic-stone vineyard barn
Setting Overlooking Orvieto
Producing one of Umbria’s most celebrated labels, Locanda Palazzone is a mediaeval barn with a modern interior set on a wine-making farm high in the hills above Orvieto. Inside, the architecture jumps a few centuries – a glass-and-iron lift and loft-style living await among the ancient floors, mullioned windows and carved columns. The old stone building is edged with glorious grounds, planted with beds of lavender and roses.
Need to know
- Rooms Seven suites.
Double rooms from $258.49 (€200), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€200) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude the breakfast buffet (€8 a person, free for under-nines), which has to be booked the night before.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout and CD/book library. In rooms: flatscreen TV, king-size beds, Bulgari and Sa di Sapone products.
- Poolside There's an outdoor unheated pool on a low-walled terrace overlooking the vineyards.
- Check-out 11am. Earliest check-in, 2pm (if it's going to be later than 6pm, let the owners know in advance, otherwise there's a €50 charge).
- Children Extra beds cost €50; cots are €20. Babysitting can be arranged with two days’ notice; the cost is €10 an hour. The restaurant can serve a children’s menu if you tell them a day earlier.
Food and drink at Locanda Palazzone
- Hotel restaurant The restaurant has a minimalist canteen feel and industrial lighting that’s warmed up with colourful artwork covering one of the walls. Expect Umbrian cuisine, intensely flavoured and strikingly presented by the Japanese chef. A set-menu lunch is served at 1.30pm and dinner at 8.15pm. When the weather’s fine, breakfast is served out on the canopied terrace with views over the vineyards in the valley.
- Dress code Keep it simple with country casuals – let the hotel's concept build be the talking point.
- Top table Ask to eat in the lobby – it’s cosy despite the huge, vaulted entrance, and you won’t feel like you’re in a public space at all.
- Last orders Help yourself to a glass from the honesty bar whenever you like.
- Hotel bar There’s an honesty bar next to the restaurant on the lower ground floor – kick your evening off here with wine-tastings and home-made nibbles before dinner. The grand room has gothic arches and a large open fire.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Locanda Palazzone Località Rocca Ripesena 67, Orvieto, Umbria, 05019
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Locanda Palazzone
A bottle of wine on arrival and free WiFi; GoldSmith members also get Continental breakfast for two on the first morning of their stay; members booking the Cardinale Suite for three nights or more also get a two-for one dinner
Current offers at Locanda Palazzone
Offers at Locanda Palazzone
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The Cardinale Suite’s living room has three mullioned vineyard-facing windows, with the bedroom and bathroom upstairs on a mezzanine. The Junior Suite has a small living area with a day-bed and views of the valley. If there’s more of you, go for the Family Suite – it sleeps four and has a large living space. The master bedroom looks out to the vineyards through mullioned windows; the second bedroom on the upper level overlooks Orvieto.
An Umbrian Ordnance Survey map and a taste for post-walk tipples.