Le Relais de Franc Mayne
Style Corker of a château
Setting Rolling vineyards of St-Emilion
Part boutique-hotel, part working winery, Le Relais de Franc Mayne is the oenophile’s boutique hotel of choice. Its nine uniquely styled rooms feature hand-picked antiques and furnishings, its cavernous cellars are packed with barrels of St-Emilion from the grapes grown in the château’s seven-acre vineyard, and the welcoming family-run feel ensures it’s a boutique hotel to return to – even if it’s only for another tasting.
Need to know
- Rooms 12
Double rooms from $265.93 (€206), excluding tax at 7 per cent. Please note the hotel charges an additional local city tax of €0.44 per person per night on check-out.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€206) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (€18.80).
- Facilities Billiard room; free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, La Compagnie de Provence toiletries.
- Poolside The hotel’s natural swimming pool sits serenely under the cedar trees, overlooking rolling vineyards.
- Check-out Midday. Check-in, 3pm.
- Children Cots can be provided for €25 a night, extra beds for €50. Babysitting can be organised with sufficient notice.
- Also Wine-tasting sessions are free for hotel guests. Non-smoking throughout.
- Hotel closed Le Relais does not accept bookings over the Christmas period.
Food and drink at Le Relais de Franc Mayne
There’s no restaurant, but the hotel can prepare a cold platter for lunch or dinner on request. The dining room – where breakfast is served – is an elegant, chandeliered space with rustic terracotta stone floors.
- Dress code Dark colours to hide any wine spillages.
- Top table Take a glass (or a bottle) out on to the terrace and soak in the sun with the vineyard vista spread out before you.
It’s not all about wine – Le Relais de Franc Mayne’s cosy, burgundy-shaded salon has an honesty bar stocked with whiskies, pastis, martinis. Oh, and, yes, wine.
Le Relais de Franc Mayne 14, La Gomerie, 33330 Saint Émilion
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Le Relais de Franc Mayne
A bottle of Le Libertin de Lussac 2010 red wine in the room on arrival (subject to availability)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All of Le Relais de Franc Mayne’s rooms have been individually decorated, with varying degrees of decadence. Our favourite, Campagne Française, is one of the hotel’s biggest and, being south-facing, it boasts a grab-your-camera view of the pool, garden, and vineyards beyond. There’s a gorgeous white stone fireplace supporting an antique gold-framed mirror, and the whole room is softly lit by a golden chandelier. You’ll find brighter, bolder decor in Pop Art, all lime greens and dark woods, and Asian Mood, which features a blue and red colour scheme and an oriental birdcage. Indian Fusion features a four-poster bed and ornately carved wooden wall panels, and Out of Africa and African Lodge adopt a safari theme.
An extra suitcase to cram with the domaine’s wine – and something soft to wrap the bottles.
During your stay at Le Relais de Franc Mayne, you’ll given a tour of the château’s wine-making equipment, including the impressive new vat in the reception area and the cavernous cellars where the seemingly endless row of barrels are stored.