Style Trad buildings, mod interiors
Setting Secret Modica courtyard
Le Lumie is a one-of-a-kind bed and breakfast, secreted in a blink-and-you’ve-missed-it courtyard close to the imposing baroque Duomo di S. Giorgio in Modica. With just three understated modern rooms, each elegantly colour-themed, it’s a genuine keep-it-to-yourself hideaway in an enchanting secret garden.
Need to know
- Rooms Three.
Double rooms from $133.62 (€100), excluding tax at 10 per cent. Le Lumie is unable to accept payment by credit card.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€100) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi, kitchen area. In rooms: TV, minibar, air-conditioning.
- Check-out 11am, but very flexible, subject to availability.
- Children Extra beds can be provided for €30 a night.
Food and drink at Le Lumie
- Hotel restaurant There’s no restaurant at Le Lumie – breakfast is served in-room or in the courtyard – but the b&b owners are also behind Torre d’Oriente, possibly the most accomplished seafood restaurant in Modica and a must-eat while you’re in Sicily.
- Dress code Fine Italian threads.
- Top table There’s nowhere better to lounge with a sundowner than on the terracotta-tiled terrace.
- Room service There's no formal room service, but a coffee in your room is never out of the question.
- Hotel bar Le Lumie doesn’t have a bar.
Le Lumie 106 Via Alessandro Grana, Modica, Sicily, x
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Le Lumie
One of the following, depending on season: Modica chocolates, a pot of organic honey or a jar of capers
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All three of Le Lumie’s rooms are simply and cleanly decorated, differentiated by splashes of colour. Although the blue room is the largest, we like the medium-sized brown room with its elegant wallpaper, characterful a stack of antique suitcases, little balcony looking out over the terracotta rooftops, and the white-painted rafters.
Stash some binoculars in your bag so you can scout out the incredible vistas in more detail.
Le Lumie’s gardens are the main event – a smartly landscaped courtyard of terracotta tiles and sweeping stone walls. There’s a small wooden table and a handful of deckchairs – ideal for lazy days in the sun.
From the Guestbook…
We spent a week at Le Lumie at the end of May. Here is what we discovered. Directions: (with benefit of hindsight) from Catania airport, head south on the N114 towards Siracusa and...more