Style Industrial revolution
Setting Colonial old town
If another architect had had their way with the former water-purifying factory of La Purificadora, the end result might be a slap in the face for the baroque buildings of Puebla, but Ricardo Legorreta’s sensitive reinvention is more a pat on the back. Combining the weathered woods, peeling paintwork and other original elements of industry with vast black-granite staircases, glass panels, and rich purple couches arranged around open coal fires, this boutique hotel in Mexico is an inspiring shrine to industrial chic.
Need to know
- Rooms 26.
Double rooms from $120.00, excluding tax at 18 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($120) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa with two steam rooms and Jacuzzi, gym, library, free WiFi throughout, valet parking ($3 a day). In rooms: plasma TV, iPod sound system, Kiehl’s toiletries.
- Poolside Open to the elements, the slender rooftop pool has a glass wall, allowing margarita-supping bar guests to engage in a spot of subaquatic voyeurism. The square Jacuzzi nearby, thankfully, is opaque
- Check-out Midday, although later check-out may be arranged on request, subject to availability.
- Children La Purificadora is decidedly geared towards grown-ups.
- Also Pets are welcome, for $40 a night.
Food and drink at La Purificadora
- Hotel restaurant The Modern Mexican menu breathes new life into classic dishes like mole and ceviche. There’s a DIY element to dining: you can ‘build’ your own menu by combining meat, fish, sauces and side dishes to suit your taste.
- Dress code Grand designer.
- Top table Despite the canteen-style timber tables, restaurant staff ensure seating still feels private – try to sit close to the reclaimed wooden pillars where you can see out into the open-air living area and the city skies beyond.
- Last orders The kitchen closes at 11p,m Monday to Thursday, midnight Thursday to Saturday, and 5pm on Sunday. The bar burns the midnight oil (and then some) until 2am.
- Room service Mexican meals and snacks are available 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Decorated in dark granite and onyx, the smart and sultry rooftop bar inspires Friday night queues as Puebla’s great and good come in search of the perfect cocktail. The signature concoction of mandarin, pineapple and Curaçao is certainly a contender.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
La Purificadora 802 Callejón de la 10 Norte, Paseo San Francisco, Barrio el Alto, Puebla, 72000
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at La Purificadora
A bottle of wine and 50 per cent off your fourth night (if it doesn't fall on a Friday or Saturday)
Offers at La Purificadora
In the know
Our favourite rooms
The balcony-endowed Superior Bedrooms are the cosiest; the views of colonial Puebla are worth paying more for. P and Z have the most impressive outlooks. The Royal Suite at the top of the hotel has a long terrace leading down to a private heated pool, where you can bask with a bird's eye view of La Purificadora's stunning lobby.
Puebla’s cobbled streets can be unforgiving on the heels, so pack some flats for city strolls. For drinking, dining and at La Purificadora, however, only Choos will do.
From the Guestbook…
The hotel’s in a very pleasing location, within a short walk of the historic centre. Also, the style’s great. I would recommend the east facing rooms with balconies on ...more