Style Rustic-luxe former farm
Setting Sheep-lined cypress hill
La Bandita is a classic ditch-the-rat-race, follow-your-dream inspiration. Owner John Voigtman threw in the towel as Christina Aguilera’s manager and bought the farm here in the Tuscan hills instead. Truly a labour of love, this smart and homely guesthouse is remote enough to relax you completely, luxurious enough to ensure you feel spoilt, and welcoming enough to keep you coming back again and again – even if it’s just to sample John’s prodigious vinyl collection one more time.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight, including one suite.
Double rooms from $262.42 (€205), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€205) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast and soft drinks.
- Facilities Hammam, Shiatsu massage, fully fitted kitchen, library, DVD/CD selection, vast vinyl collection (the owner was a music manager). In rooms: free WiFi, Busatti textiles, organic toiletries. The suite has an iPod dock and flatscreen TV.
- Poolside You can enjoy sweeping views of the inimitable Tuscan countryside (and its sheep) from the infinity pool or while luxuriating in the heated Jacuzzi that sits alongside.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible, subject to availability.
- Children Cots and high chairs are free, and babysitting can be arranged for €25–€30 an hour. More...
- Also Small pets are welcome at no extra charge. All rooms are non-smoking.
- Hotel closed 5 November to mid March.
Food and drink at La Bandita
Dining here is a communal experience – meals are served sociably around one table. Chef David Mangan whips up tempting Tuscan dishes, including a to-die-for pea and Gorgonzola risotto. Private dinners can be arranged by appointment; La Bandita has a full kitchen so you can also implement your own culinary grand designs.
- Dress code Forget Armani and Versace; this part of Italy is a land of floaty kaftans and Havaianas.
- Top table By night, sit by the pool under a spotless sky of stars, and get to know your fellow guests; for breakfast, perch on the hilltop and watch the local shepherd bring in his flock.
- Last orders A private meal can be prepared for you by the chef at any time, by arrangement.
- Room service John, the owner, can arrange grocery deliveries; and other requests can usually be met if he's given sufficient notice.
- Hotel bar There's a fully stocked honesty bar on offer, and John has an extensive wine cellar ripe for the plunder.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
La Bandita Localita Lucciola Bella, Pienza, Siena, Tuscany, 53026
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at La Bandita
A bottle of wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
No prizes for guessing what the Pig Sty Suite used to be – although now its name couldn’t be further from the reality. Opposite the main house, it offers more privacy, and an ingenious sliding wall can turn the open-plan room into a family-friendly two-bedroom suite. In the main building, the two smaller rooms offer soul-stirring sunset views, while the larger ones have sunken baths if you can’t muster the energy to stumble into the oversized shower.
Even the most cack-handed artists will be well served with a sketchbook and a box of watercolours: La Bandita’s hill overlooks rolling Tuscan farmland that’s just made to be framed. Bringing a camera would feel like cheating.
You can hop on one of La Bandita’s mountain bikes if you feel like exploring the Maremma region – and take one of the loaner hand-held GPS devices with you to ensure you find your way back.
From the Guestbook…
Wow, what a fabulous place. From the moment we arrived, we felt part of the La Bandita family. The hotel and setting are wonderful, but what really makes the place perfect is the t...more