Style Minimalist jungle bungalows
Setting Perched above the Pacific
Kurá hotel in Uvita has the perfect hotel pedigree: a husband-and-wife architect and biologist decided to open their idea of a perfect, sustainable, stylish getaway. The resulting six suites are the stuff of sleek design mags: contemporary, open-plan villas with floating beds, exposed showers and a balcony that leaves little between you and sweeping views over the jungle to the Pacific Ocean.
Need to know
- Rooms Six, including four suites.
Double rooms from $460.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($460) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental breakfast and shuttles to Uvita.
- Facilities Spa with yoga centre; gardens; free WiFi throughout. In rooms: balcony with hammock, minibar, coffeemaker.
- Poolside The pool is one of a kind: a sharply rectangular saltwater infinity pool lined with dark-green Balinese tiles. It offers bird’s-eye ocean views, a trio of semi-submerged sunloungers and calming under-water music. The lounge beside it is an ideal spot for afternoon reading and cocktails.
- Check-out 12pm, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Leave them at home: Kurá is best for adults.
- Also Each room is equipped with an iPad that is fully loaded with spa options, the day’s menus and information about the property, not to mention music and books for enjoying by the pool.
- Hotel closed 1–31 October.
Food and drink at Kurá
The open-plan Sky Lounge has 360-degree views of Costa Rican jungle and ocean, and is the best place to spot passing humpback whales. The tropical-local menu is packed with with fish, including a daily carpaccio marinated in lemongrass, basil and lime. The tuna tiradito has Japanese influences in the spicy ponzu sauce. Breakfast is the most traditional, and typically includes plantains, eggs, tortillas and local cheese.
- Dress code Surfer-chic: you’ll want to wear closed-toed shoes wandering the hills at night, but the restaurant is otherwise casual.
- Top table Take a table by the pool for the most panoramic views.
- Last orders Breakfast is served from 7am until 10am, lunch from 12pm until 2.30pm, and dinner from 6pm until 9pm; the bar is open from 12pm until 10pm.
- Room service None to speak of, though each guest room is stocked with beer, wine, water, juice and Nespresso capsules.
Diablitos in the Sky Lounge plays salsa, reggae and other Latin music. The bar specialises in tamarind margaritas, fruit coladas and various flavoured mojitos.
Kurá Uvita de Osa, Calle Bejuco, Osa / Bahia Ballena, Puntarenas
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Kurá
A lunch for two, without drinks
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Each villa is contemporary and open-plan, with teakwood panels, bamboo ceilings, giant floating beds and wide balconies that hold a hammock built for two. Of them, the top-floor Suite Villas are the brightest, with the most dramatic rainforest views.
Bring a swimsuit for the hydrotherapy tub at the spa, and surfing gear for tackling the perfect curls nearby. No need to bring binoculars for glimpsing passing toucans and monkeys: every room has a pair at the ready.
The ocean-facing spa offers facials, massages, wraps and scrubs using local products. Beauty treatments and yoga classes can be arranged.