Style Grown-up rustic retreat
Setting Forested foothills
Khao Yai boutique hotel Kirimaya, a few hours' drive from Bangkok, is as close as it gets to a sexy safari in Thailand. Exuding understated good taste, this sublime hotel combines modern sophistication with an all-natural escape. Rustic trimmings such as antique doors and wooden decking give way to simply furnished rooms showing off the best of contemporary Thai design, as well as elegant Tented Villas.
Need to know
- Rooms 64, including 11 suites.
Double rooms from $129.24 (THB3,846), excluding tax at 17 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (THB3,846) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Jack Nicklaus-designed 18-hole golf course with clubhouse, locker rooms, pro shop, personal butler, WiFi throughout, CD/DVD library, gym, spa. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD players, minibar.
- Poolside The infinity pool with lush mountain backdrop is serenity itself.
- Check-out Noon, or any time until 6pm for an extra half-day rate, subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome; baby cots are supplied free of charge and extra beds for older children cost THB1,400 a night. More...
- Also If you’re seeking peace, book a stay during the week, as weekends are popular with city-weary Bangkokians and things can get busy.
Food and drink at Kirimaya
Graze on a menu of modern Thai and international food at the open-sided, high-ceilinged Acala Restaurant, overlooking the lake and golf course. Above is the Mist, an intimate venue serving Japanese cuisine. At the clubhouse, T-Grill is a safari-style steakhouse, complete with faux leopard-skin seats.
- Dress code Ralph Lauren khakis and Nicole Farhi linens to get into safari mode.
- Top table The corner table closest to the golf course at Acala is best for views and a cool breeze.
- Last orders Kirimaya's restaurants and bar open till 11pm.
- Room service 6am to midnight (last orders at 11pm), with a range of tasty Thai treats.
- Hotel bar Inspired by a wildlife hideout, but with sleek leather chairs and charcoal sofas, the Mist bar is a minimalist, masculine spot for afternoon tea or an evening cocktail, with killer views of the national park. Try the resort’s own take on a lychee martini, called the Smile of Khao Yai.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Kirimaya 1/3 Moo 6, Thanarat Road, Moo-Si, Pakchong, Nakorn Ratchasima, Khao Yai, Thailand, 30130
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Kirimaya
A bottle of wine; 20 per cent off spa treatments and food and drink in the hotel restaurants and bar (excluding room-service alcohol); 50 per cent off green fees
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Play Out of Africa in one of the romantic Tented Villas. The canvas exterior belies the elegant luxury within. Decor is a simple yet comfortable mix of natural textures and colonial-style furniture, with a massive sunken spa pool at its centre. With a private deck and mountain vistas, this is safari-chic at its sexiest.
We know this is the tropics, but pack a few sweaters for chilly evenings, especially between November and February. For those intent on spotting wildlife – from elephants to one of the four species of hornbills – binoculars are a must.
Want to go on a night safari, pamper yourself with a treatment at Maya Spa or have a private barbecue at your villa? Take it easy by allowing the personal butler to organise everything.