Style Supersized villas
Setting Dramatic cliffhanger
Perched, celestially, between the azure Indian Ocean and emerald jungle of Bali’s southern Bukit Peninsula, Karma Kandara takes relaxation to a higher plane. Vast villas hidden among tropical gardens, a serene spa, gourmet restaurants and a sexy beach club invite you to perfect the art of laid-back lounging.
Need to know
- Rooms 46 pool villas, each with two to four bedrooms, except the Grand Cliff-front Residence, which has five.
Double rooms from $719.83, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($720) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a welcome refreshment and fruit platter, but exclude breakfast (US$25). Non-motorised watersports at Nammos Beach Club are free for hotel guests.
- Facilities Spa, gym, library, gardens, free WiFi throughout. In villas: flatscreen satellite TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, SMEG-equipped kitchen with stocked refrigerator, tableware, washer/dryer, microwave, pillow menu, own-label natural toiletries, private pool, courtyard garden.
- Poolside Two levels of freeform salt and chlorine pools sit just below the di Mare restaurant. The lower-level, shallow pool is ideal for little Smiths. All villas come with private pools; with Cliff-front villas, you get an infinity pool.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible subject to availability, and a 50 per cent charge up to 6pm. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Smiths of all ages welcome. Villas with a third bedroom include twin beds; cots are free and extra beds cost US$75 a night. The children’s menu tastes as delicious as adult fare. Karma Kids Club, great for two- to 12-year-olds, operates daily. More...
- Also There is a compulsory New Year's Eve dinner, priced at US$375 a head (50 per cent off for under 12s). Smoking is allowed on balconies only.
- Hotel closed No check-ins or check-outs are allowed on 31 March 2014, when Bali observes Nyepi Day (Day of Silence), although stays are still possible. Bali’s airport also closes for the day.
Food and drink at Karma Kandara
Main restaurant, di Mare, is a high-ceilinged, airy, whitewashed space where executive chef Steven Grande serves a Mediterranean menu featuring dishes such as salt-baked whole red snapper with a shaved vegetable salad and truffled chicken breast with mushroom tortellini. It’s all grilled seafood and pizzas from the brick oven at the laid-back, veranda restaurant at waterside Nammos Beach Club down on the sand. Veritas has an addictive tapas menu.
- Dress code Strictly flip-flops and beachwear at Nammos; take the glamour up a notch after dark at Veritas and di Mare – although summer-casual prints suit the mood better than dressy labels.
- Top table Book ahead at di Mare for a perimeter table with eagle-eye views of the peninsula. The communal central table is a sociable option; we’re also drawn to the back wall’s elevated padded banquettes for their broader ocean views.
- Last orders 10.30pm at di Mare; Nammos serves drinks until 11pm.
- Room service Available 24 hours. Enjoy salads, Balinese specialties like ayum bumbu (coconut-milk braised chicken with Balinese yellow bumbu and stir-fried water spinach) or classic burgers and pastas.
Fruity concoctions and ice-cold beers can be found at Nammos Beach Club, but serious oenophiles will enjoy Veritas, the resort’s glass-clad wine bar overlooking the coastline. Sink into plush, dark-velvet club chairs, and sample chardonnays and pinots from Bali's first Enomatic wine dispenser. Temple Lounge & Bar, on the roof above di Mare, is another drinking hole with Moroccan styling and great views.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Karma Kandara Jalan Villa Kandara, Banjar Wijaya Kusuma, Ungasan, Bali, 80362
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Karma Kandara
A wine appreciation session for two.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Spacious, thatch-roofed, white-washed villas are secluded within dense, tropical foliage and are decorated in an elegant palette from cream to cocoa via ochre and russet. For particularly pleasing panoramas, request the four-bedroom Villa 36 or three-bedroom Villa 10. The five-bedroom, three-storey Grand Cliff-Front Residence has unrivalled views, a cinema room, gym and spa pavilion.
Eres and Odabash bikinis are the swimwear of choice at Nammos Beach Club. Add a good sunscreen to your kit as the strong sun’s natural glare is enhanced by the resort’s white-stone façades.
Look out around the resort for the fruits of Karma Kandara’s artist-in-residence programme, which nurtures the talents of painters, sculptors and musicians then try the healing hands at clifftop Karma Spa.
From the Guestbook…
I loved the fact that the resort was far from the madding crowd...others may not. Seminyak is still tops for food and shopping.more