Style Mid-modern motel
Setting Portland pitstop
A classic roadside motel built around one of Portland’s premier live music venues, Jupiter Hotel embodies vintage Americana. It also happens to be the best place in town to catch the next big thing emerging from Portland’s musical hothouse. Although the rooms may be more cool and casual than lavish luxe, you can stay for the encores and party with the band without having to worry about stumbling home.
Need to know
- Rooms 80 including one suite.
Double rooms from $149.00, excluding tax at 14.5 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($149) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast.
- Facilities Free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPod dock, air-conditioning.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible depending on availability; check-in, 3pm.
- Children Although kids are welcome, Jupiter Hotel has grown-up gig-goers in mind.
- Also Pets can join the party for US$30 a day.
Food and drink at Jupiter Hotel
- Hotel restaurant Cosy red leather booths give a Fifties diner feel to the Doug Fir Lounge, but there’s no greasy spoon menu here – it is all fresh, local and served in mountainous portions. Classic, carby staples such as banana and hazelnut pancakes, grandma’s meatloaf and mac-n-cheese are served along with bottomless Stumptown (a local roaster) coffee all day. There’s also a late-night menu of alcohol-absorbing munchies available until 2.15am.
- Dress code Your favourite hipster jeans and battered Converse All-Stars.
- Top table The restaurant doesn’t take bookings but if you can, snag yourself a table on Burnside so you can watch the world go by from the enormous windows. Alternatively swing on your swivel chair at the bar slurping a ‘five-dollar milkshake’.
- Last orders The chef hangs up his apron at midnight and the bar closes at 2am.
- Room service The full restaurant menu is available from 7am to 11pm.
- Hotel bar The decor of the Doug Fir Bar is an improbable meeting of space age and cowboy. Futuristic dome shapes are made out of chunky logs and bathed in softly glowing light. Sample the Cowboy Coffee cocktail – a mix of Kahlúa, Tuaca and Frangelico that will keep you going even after the band have gone to bed.
Jupiter Hotel 800 E Burnside Street, Portland, Multnomah/ OR OR 97214
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Jupiter Hotel
A free bottle of prosecco on arrival, plus free parking at the hotel
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Ask for a room on the quiet side if you don’t want to join in the post-midnight merriment. Plump for the Dreamsuite and you can lounge on retro leather sofas sipping a self-made martini from your own bar.
For the perfect Portland playlist, load up your iPod with Elliot Smith, M Ward, The Shins and The Decemberists to play from the in-room docks.
All the bedroom doors have been coated in blackboard paint and you can while away entire mornings checking out your neighbours’ nocturnal creativity.