Imani Country House
Style Revitalised rural retreat
Setting Idyllic hills of Alentejo
‘Imani’ may be Swahili – it means ‘believe’ – but this intimate country house hotel in the rural Alentejo countryside provides Portuguese hospitality at its most pleasing. The owners who run this seven-bedroom farm house know how to mix luxury with laid-back: on-site you’ll find two swimming pools… as well as two donkeys.
Need to know
- Rooms 7, including 5 suites.
Double rooms from $164.51 (€127), excluding tax at 6 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€127) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Free wifi, DVD library. In rooms: free WiFi, DVD player.
- Poolside The hotel has two small pools.
- Check-out Noon, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm. Call ahead if you’ll be arriving before 2pm or after 7pm.
- Children Extra beds and cots (free for under-2s; €25 for under-12s) can be added to rooms subject to availability.
- Also Common areas are wheelchair accessible.
Food and drink at Imani Country House
In Improvável – the name means ‘improbable’, perhaps in reference to the decor… you can’t miss the motorbike smack bang in the middle of the room – chef José Pedro Vasconcelos serves up fresh Alentejo favourites. Expect dishes along the lines of codfish risotto and veal carpaccio.
- Dress code Leave the heels at home: aim for farm-house chic.
- Top table The most romantic spot is by the piano, furthest from the entrance.
- Last orders Breakfast between 9.30am and noon; grab a light snack between noon and 7PM. Dine in Improvável from 8pm to 9.30pm on Fridays and Saturdays only.
Pour yourself a drink at the honesty bar on the porch: it’s stocked with water, juices, beer and wine.
Imani Country House Quinta de Montemuro, Guadalupe 7000 223, Évora, Portugal, 7000 223
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Imani Country House
A glass of Porto wine (in winter) or fresh lemonade with mint (in summer) and late check-out, subject to availability
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Of Imani’s seven suites, our favourite is number seven: it’s upstairs and very spacious. Both the bedroom and living room are large, and there’s an open fireplace to lounge before. The best views of the surrounding countryside are from the elegant roll-top bath.
If you’re a city slicker who’s always dreamt of packing it all in and running off to become a shepherd or shepherdess, now’s your chance to try it: pack your sturdiest boots and walk the hotel’s 13 hectares of land until you track down the farm’s very own flock of sheep.
Imani runs something of an informal wine school: ask about tastings with award-winning local producer Paulo Laureano, or head out on a guided tour of the region’s top wineries.