Style Trad Twenties hunting lodge
Setting Banks of the Waikato
Whether you’re into fishing, food or the great outdoors, luxury boutique hotel Huka Lodge is rated as one of the world’s top retreats. Set in Taupo, home to New Zealand’s largest lake in the heart of the volcanic North Island, this heritage 1920s hotel was founded as a simple fishing lodge. Surrounded by lush, green grounds beside the Waikato River and cascading Huka Falls, it’s still a top angling destination as well as an adventurous gourmet getaway, offering al fresco dining under the stars. It also makes a great base for skiing in winter, with the North Island's premier slopes, undulating amid volcanic cones, a short hop from Taupo.
Need to know
- Rooms 18 Lodge Rooms, one suite; the exclusive-use four-bedroom Owner’s Cottage and two-bedroom Alan Pye Cottage.
Double rooms from $1270.97 (NZD1,590), excluding tax at 15 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (NZD1,590) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast, apéritifs, dinner and local airport transfers.
- Facilities DVD, CD and book library, free WiFi throughout, swimming pools, gardens. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, own-label toiletries.
- Poolside There are three alfresco pools to soak in: one large and two smaller and more private.
- Check-out 11am, flexible subject to availability. Check-in, 2pm.
- Children Baby cots are free; extra beds for older children in triple rooms possible for a fee. Babysitting with a local nanny NZ$25 an hour; 24 hours’ notice required. More...
- Also The Lodge also has four single rooms, ideal for older children or nannies.
Food and drink at Huka Lodge
- Hotel restaurant The Michelin-starred executive chef tailors contemporary New Zealand cuisine with European influences to your desires, harnessing the finest fresh, flavoursome local ingredients, including fruit from the orchard. Menus change daily according to produce available, and may include dishes such as freshwater lobster butter-poached with lemon-infused gnocchi and watercress, and chocolate fondant with espresso ice-cream.
- Dress code A dash of fashionable tartan to channel the hunting lodge look; a Belstaff jacket (motorcycle details are great for rocking a modern country style).
- Top table In the main lodge, ask for a table on the terrace. We also love the vaulted, wine-rack-lined cellar room or riverside under the stars (you can dine outdoors in a host of romantic spots).
- Last orders Speak to reception if you want to eat or drink outside regular hours. Huka’s take on service is ‘never say never’.
- Room service A variety of meals on offer 6.30am–11pm; picnic hampers also available.
- Hotel bar The cosy, comfy main Lodge lounge has a luxurious gents-club feel. The fab views and soothing sound of the river add to the mellow mood.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Huka Lodge 271 Huka Falls Road, Taupo 3377, Lake Taupo, Taupo 3377
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Huka Lodge
Lunch for two including a bottle of NZ house wine, either within the Lodge or as a picnic
Offers at Huka Lodge
In the know
Our favourite rooms
If you want privacy, the Owner’s Cottage sits on a sunny promontory above the river with stunning vistas downstream to the Huka Falls. The Alan Pye Cottage, named after Huka’s founder, has an Arts and Crafts look, as well as your own infinity and spa pools, a stone pavilion with outdoor dining table and fireplace, and a private chef and butler on tap.
A Belstaff jacket for strolling the grounds (those motorcycle details are great for rocking a modern country look). Designer shades – past guests include Kate Winslet, Barry Humphries and Bill Gates.
Huka Lodge offers special packages from romantic stays with in-room spa treatments and private dining to fly and trout fishing (with expert guides, cooking and casting lessons), gourmet and adventure options. Take your pick from a smorgasbord including massage, horse treks, golf and helicopter trips to acclaimed wineries or active volcanic islands.