Style Drama queen
Setting Arty theatre district
Set in a theatre-filled patch of Porto, Hotel Teatro was made for the stage. Showy spotlights, an opulent use of black and gold, and cabinets of costumes make it a natural performer.
Need to know
- Rooms 74, including seven suites.
Double rooms from $160.60 (€125), excluding tax at 6 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€125) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include tax and buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Gym, and free WiFi throughout. In rooms, flatscreen TV, minibar and Damana bath products. In-room spa and beauty treatments can be arranged.
- Check-out Midday, but flexible at half a day’s cost. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Cots are free, but it’s not possible for extra beds to be added to rooms. Babysitting can be arranged with a day’s notice, and the restaurant has a dedicated kids’ menu.
- Also One of the Tribune rooms is accessible by lift and has an adapted bathroom for disabled guests.
Food and drink at Hotel Teatro
Palco is named after the stage, and it looks like one, too. Dark and dramatic, with bright spotlights shining on the stars of the show: curved wooden ceilings, sleek old-school chairs and a load of theatregoers on the wall watching your dining performance (they're the wallpaper). Classic Portuguese cuisine is served, so be sure to try the codfish with cornbread or John Dory slow-cooked in champagne.
- Dress code Costume drama: opulent golds, reds and blacks.
- Top table For prime views, sit overlooking the courtyard; for somewhere shady and romantic, head for the back of the room.
- Last orders During the week, breakfast is served from 7am until 10am; at weekends, it’s 7.30am until 10.30am. Lunch is on offer from 12.30pm until 3pm, and dinner is between 7.30pm and 10.30pm.
- Room service Snacks and drinks can be brought to your room from 7am until midnight.
Settle in to the stalls at Plateia, monikered in honour of theatre seats (in Portuguese), with a glass of well-picked port and some authentic Fado rhythms.
Hotel Teatro 84 Rua Sá da Bandeira, Porto, 4000-427
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Teatro
A bottle of port and some chocolates
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Stage a dress rehearsal on the enormous terrace of Suite 601, in the shadows of the Teatro Rivoli over the road; as well as a roll-top bath in the bedroom and his and hers sinks, there’s a costume in a cabinet, ready to inspire your performance. Or plump for an Audience Room, which have the luxury of a bedroom-based bath tub, separate shower, stately chaise longue and views of the courtyard.
Elegant eveningwear for theatre nights, and a Portuguese phrasebook to try and make sense of them.
Guests dining at the hotel’s restaurant are treated to a sparkling aperitif, 10 per cent off the bill, and a glass of port in the bar.