Style Cockle-warming wine retreat
Setting Sonoma vineyard country
Not far north of San Francisco, Healdsburg is the heart of Sonoma wine country, and Charlie Palmer’s warm and modern Healdsburg Hotel is at the heart of the town in its turn. Its restaurant, the Dry Creek Kitchen, is a destination in itself, thanks to its tastebud-teasing Californian fusion food, and its wine cellar – as you’d expect in this vine-covered corner of America – holds a staggering range of tasty tipples.
Need to know
- Rooms 55.
Double rooms from $380.00, excluding tax at 14 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($380) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Spa with six treatment rooms and a Jacuzzi, gym, free DVD library, free WiFi throughout, valet parking. In rooms: flatscreen TV, DVD/CD player, iPod dock, 500-thread-count Frette linen, bespoke organic toiletries.
- Poolside The hotel’s secluded garden pool is lined with extra-comfy loungers and surrounded by olive trees.
- Check-out Midday.
- Children Kids stay free, and extra beds can be provided for US$35 a night. The hotel can recommend babysitting services (about US$15 an hour) and its restaurant can prepare dishes for younger palates on request.
- Also There’s a two-night minimum stay during weekends between March and October. Small dogs are welcome for a US$150 fee including doggy bed, doggy bowl and doggy snacks.
Food and drink at Hotel Healdsburg
- Hotel restaurant Light, glassy, airy, Charlie Palmer’s Dry Creek Kitchen is renowned for its progressive Californian fusion dishes, accompanied exclusively by Sonoma wines.
- Dress code Connoisseur casual.
- Top table At lunchtime, you’ll want to secure a spot outside to watch Healdsburg society drift by. In the evening, settle down on the banquette in the far corner of the restaurant for extra-plush comfort.
- Last orders Dinner is served until 9.30pm during the week, and 10pm at weekends. The bar’s open until 11.30pm – occasionally later if the guests.
- Room service The Dry Creek Kitchen’s dishes can all be served in room during restaurant opening hours.
- Hotel bar A relaxed woody nook of a fireside drinking den, Healdsburg’s lobby bar is an easygoing jazz-soundtracked joint. Its cocktails – all made with local, seasonal ingredients – are almost as impressive as the wine selection.
Hotel Healdsburg 25 Matheson Street, Healdsburg, California CA 95448
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Healdsburg
A complimentary bottle of Sonoma sparkling wine on arrival
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Although the hotel’s suites are, of course, larger and have added sitting rooms, for the price, we’re still more than happy with the Standard King rooms – these all feature six-foot bath tubs, similarly generous beds, French doors opening onto private balconies and oak floors covered with Tibetan rugs.
Pack the shades – it’s blindingly bright round here – but leave the perfume/aftershave at home – artificial scents hijack your palate when sampling wines. No lipstick either – it’s a nightmare to scrub off the tasting glasses.
If you’re lucky enough to be staying in March, you can attend Charlie Palmer’s annual ‘Pigs and Pinot’ event, a celebration of fine wine and quality pork raising money for child hunger (ending it, that is).
From the Guestbook…
Across the town plaza from the hotel there is a little Italian restaurant called Scopa (not open on Mondays). The food was fantastic, genuinely Italian rather than an American vers...more