Style Fairy-tale fishing lodge
Setting Unspoilt Devonshire woodland
Guests at the Hotel Endsleigh are, while style-conscious, more Boden than Balenciaga, as you would expect of a clientele who choose to weekend in this remote and beautiful valley between Devon's Dartmoor and Cornwall's Bodmin Moor. The house, a grade I-listed shooting-and-fishing lodge, is insanely pretty, and the setting is magical: it is easy to see why the Bedford family, who at the time owned a third of Devon, decided in 1812 that this was the prettiest spot in the county on which to build their house.
Need to know
- Rooms 16, including two suites and a gatekeeper’s lodge.
Double rooms from $303.03 (£196), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£196) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include a full English breakfast.
- Facilities The lodge is set in 108 acres of soul-enriching woodland and gardens, including a stretch of the Tamar river and a croquet lawn. Massages can be booked with 24 hours’ notice. Library, free WiFi, badminton, table tennis, games. Rooms have flatscreen TVs, DVD players, and CD players on request.
- Check-out 11am. Check-in, 2pm, but if you arrive earlier the porter can take care of your luggage while you explore.
- Children Many rooms at this family-friendly hotel have space for an extra child’s bed (£30) or cot (free). Three of the suites have sofa-beds, suitable for teenagers or extra adults (£30). Babysitting and listening can be arranged. More...
- Also Two-night minimum stay at weekends.
- Hotel closed The hotel closes for two weeks every January.
Food and drink at Hotel Endsleigh
There are two dining rooms serving Modern European cuisine, using organic and locally sourced ingredients. The menu changes regularly to reflect the seasons.
- Dress code Groomed, but relaxed.
- Top table In the larger dining room, ask for a table overlooking the croquet lawn. For an intimate dinner, the Quiet Room seats up to four and looks onto the pretty parterre. Outside, there’s a nice sheltered nook on the Long Border Terrace.
- Last orders Lunch, 2.30pm; afternoon tea, 5.30pm; dinner, 10pm.
- Room service Drinks and tea available 24 hours a day. Light snacks (fruit platters, smoked salmon) available, 7am–11pm.
There is a 24-hour honesty bar, which includes a great selection of wines.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Hotel Endsleigh Hotel Endsleigh, Milton Abbot, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0PQ
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hotel Endsleigh
Afternoon tea for two, with freshly cut sandwiches, various cakes, scones served with clotted cream and jam, and a pot of tea
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Room 8 has a marvellous garden view, as does Room 5, which also overlooks the river. You can see the river and the garden from the bathroom of Room 3. Suite 1 on the ground floor has direct access to the gardens through French doors. The Gatekeeper’s Lodge has private, enclosed gardens, and a fridge for keeping that champagne ice-cold.
Massages can be booked with 24 hours’ notice. Picnics, horse riding, archery, clay-pigeon shooting, falconry, fishing, private guides, Pilates/yoga instruction and bicycle hire can all be arranged (some activities require advance notice).
From the Guestbook…
Our stay at Hotel Endsleigh was superb. We thoroughly enjoyed the gardens even in the rain, thanks to the spare wellingtons and raincoats which were both on hand. The hotel was imm...more