Hacienda de San Antonio
Style Exclusive organic enclave
Setting Volcanic valleys of Colima
This coral pink Hacienda de San Antonio in Mexico’s small highland state of Colima raises the boutique-hotel bar to lofty new heights. Built more than 120 years ago and decorated with style and passion by the Goldsmith family, its elegant arched buildings sit serenely in a jaw-dropping landscape of coffee plants, avenues of bamboo and the awe-inspiring backdrop of the Colima volcano.
Need to know
- Rooms 25 suites.
Double rooms from $540.00, excluding tax at 29 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($540) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- Facilities Huge gardens, tennis court, gym, massage and beauty treatments, library, DVD selection, free WiFi in some areas, private airstrip. In rooms: open fireplace, iPod, free WiFi, under-floor heating, bespoke toiletries.
- Poolside A stream flows down the immaculately manicured lawn to an enormous swimming pool, where you can laze away the day on cushioned loungers, in view of the gorgeous gardens and the smoking volcano.
- Check-out Midday, but this is very flexible, depending on occupancy.
- Children Under-fives stay free, under-11s are $75 a night. Babysitting can be provided for $45 for four hours, if arranged three days in advance. More...
- Also Ground-floor suites are available to guests with small pets (less than 9lbs) in tow. Dogs must be kept on leads, except in the gardens. Pets stay free, but there’s a charge if they need feeding.
Food and drink at Hacienda de San Antonio
- Hotel restaurant The hacienda arranges dinner in a different room each evening; before the open fireplace of the club room, one night, in the elegant red room on another. The menu uses produce grown in the grounds to create Mexican-European crossover cuisinine.
- Dress code Refined but unshowy, think indolent aristocrat.
- Top table Ask the hotel staff to set up a table in the formal gardens amid the fountains.
- Last orders Food is available between 7am and 10.30pm; the bar’s open until 11.30pm.
- Room service Breakfast, lunch and dinner are available form the restaurant menu anywhere in the hotel while the kitchen is open.
- Hotel bar Homely, relaxed and warmed by a roaring fire, the hacienda’s Yellow Bar opens out into the gardens and serves a potent Hacienda Margarita using mango grappa distilled on the hotel’s estate.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Hacienda de San Antonio Domicilio Conocido S/N, San Antonio, Comala, Colima, 28463
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Hacienda de San Antonio
A bottle of tequila or mangrappa, a picnic trip to Epazote lake, chauffeured airport transfers from Colima airport, a visit to the coffee and cheese factory, and a biking tour of the area
In the know
Our favourite rooms
For a view of Colima’s smoke-haloed volcano, you can’t beat the El Quetzal Junior Suite, which has a lovely little terrace from which to admire the panorama, as well as a luxurious living room. Alternatively, La Chalupita is a highly desirable, bright, corner room with huge windows overlooking the lawn and French doors opening on to the patio. El Sol is the largest of the hotel’s suites (ideal for combining with El Quetzal for a honeymoon to remember), and boasts huge fireplaces in the bedroom and living area, as well as sumptuous sofas, beautiful paintings on the walls and a relaxing private terrace.
Leave your mobile at home – it won’t work here anyway. Do bring outdoorsy gear though, whether horse riding, hiking or mountain biking is your bag, you can do it at San Antonio.
If you fancy cocooning yourself away for an evening in front of a film or a sports event, the Mirador sitting room on the rooftop terrace has a gigantic widescreen TV, a working fireplace and comfortable seating.