Forty 1° North
Style Clapboard cosmopolitan
Setting Modish marina
Forty 1° North steers clear of kitsch and lets the mega-yachts docked in its private marina remind you you're on the water's edge. Stylish suites and cottages in muted hues are kitted out with wicker headboards, oversize chairs and vast windows overlooking Newport Harbour in Rhode Island.
Need to know
- Rooms 28, including six suites.
Double rooms from $299.00, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($299) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates exclude breakfast (US$6–US$15).
- Facilities Garden, library, bar, restaurant and free WiFi. In rooms: flatscreen TV, iPad, preloaded iPod and dock, Malin+Goetz bath products.
- Check-out 12 noon, but flexible for Smith members. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome. The rooms are large enough to accommodate little ones, and there are plenty of activities around the property. More...
- Also No smoking throughout. Pets 20lbs and under are welcome for a US$150 fee.
Food and drink at Forty 1° North
- Hotel restaurant The grown-up Grill has a raw bar, thick steaks and buzzy cocktail bar and lounge. Take a secluded table in the dining room or sip a spicy red in the sea air. Sample inventive small plates and cool cocktails in Christie’s deco dining room.
- Dress code Crisp, conservative ensembles and swingy skirts for dinner at the Grill. Don Technicolor sheaths and jackets with dark denim at pop-arty Christies.
- Top table Dockside is the place to be, with the marina stretching out before you. If outside is packed, grab a table by the floor-to-ceiling windows: it may not be breezy, but you still have the views. Book the long communal table if you have a large posse.
- Last orders At the Grill, breakfast is 7am–11am, lunch 12pm–4pm; and dinner 5pm–10pm. Christie’s kitchen is open until 11pm. Cocktails in the pavilion are crafted until 1am.
- Room service 24 hours; the menu is a pared-down version of the restaurant’s, and includes charcuterie, sandwiches and salads.
At the Pavilion Bar, sip the Starry Night – a vodka infused with ginger syrups and flecks of vanilla bean – as you gaze out over the shimmering harbour. A DJ spins on weekends, when the bar is most happening.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Forty 1° North 351 Thames Street, Newport, Rhode Island 02840
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Forty 1° North
A cocktail each on arrival, late check-out (until 1.30pm) and early check-in (from 11am)
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Light-soaked Suite 3 feels like an airy Upper East Side apartment, with a separate dining area tinted with terracotta. The sleek marbled gas fireplaces in the sitting room and bedroom offer welcome warmth on breezy evenings. Classic and romantic, two-storey Red cottage has duck-egg blue Shaker furnishings and a secluded bedroom in the eaves. The full kitchen and airy rooms of the warm, mahogany Seabreeze Cottage are ideal for small families or groups of friends.
Fresh-pressed, stark-white suits and Jackie O-approved eyewear won’t go unnoticed. No need to bring night-time reading, there are Dr Seuss books in every room.
Play chess on the hotel's giant board with the toddler-size pieces in the Gallery. Shoot pool on the custom-made billiards table in the games room.