Fontelunga Hotel and Villas
Style Grand guesthouse
Setting Glamorous gardens
Fontelunga Hotel and Villas, near Siena and Florence, is located among tranquil rolling hills and peaceful olive groves. Vintage Italiana is flawlessly blended with modern Starck and Jacobsen flourishes to provide the perfect mix of style and comfort. The hotel prepares rich, traditional cuisine, served in the beautiful gardens in the summer.
Need to know
- Rooms Eight rooms, and a junior suite in a separate cottage. Three self-catering villas in the area can be booked through the hotel.
Double rooms from $233.32 (€181), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€181) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include Continental buffet breakfast.
- Facilities Gardens, tennis courts, mountain bikes to borrow, library of books, DVDs and CDS, free WiFi in all rooms and communal areas. In rooms: iPod dock, CD player, bottled water. Every room has double-aspect views and the junior suite has a TV and DVD player too.
- Poolside There’s a sun-warmed saltwater outdoor pool amid the olive groves overlooking the valley and the nearby town of Cortona.
- Check-out 11am, but may be flexible, depending upon availability; earliest check-in, 3pm. Reception closes at 8pm, so let the hotel know if you’re arriving later.
- Children Children are welcome – there's a cot and high chair and babysitting is available upon request.
- Also A minimum stay of two nights is usually required. Well-behaved little dogs are welcome.
- Hotel closed November to early March.
Food and drink at Fontelunga Hotel and Villas
- Hotel restaurant The guests-only dining room serves up Continental breakfast, and light lunches and dinners can be prepared if you book them at breakfast. Twice a week, on Tuesdays and Fridays, owners Paolo and Phillip host a four-course dinner party, including prosecco with fried vegetables and crostini, a bottle of wine per couple and bottled water. The kitchen is closed on Saturdays.
- Dress code Country-appropriate casual, with a flamboyant frisson.
- Top table Ask to eat outside in the gardens, and catch the sun setting, resplendent, over the Tuscan countryside. The twice-weekly dinner party is served at a communal table – outside, if the weather permits (and it usually does).
- Room service Not available. If the villa is rented, a concierge service and grocery shop is included in the rates.
- Hotel bar There is a 24-hour honesty bar and the staff have a nifty way with a cocktail shaker. You can also sit in the dining area with a tipple or two.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Fontelunga Hotel and Villas 5 Via Cunicchio, Pozzo della Chiana Arezzo, Tuscany, 52045
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Fontelunga Hotel and Villas
Drinks for two and a bottle of Fontelunga's olive oil
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Fontelunga’s bedrooms are simple and classic, with white walls, terracotta tiled-floors and oversized damasked headboards. The Oro room (a Superior) has wonderful views of the secret garden. Flashed with silver tones, the Junior Suite, Diamante, is in its own separate cottage with a private terrace that looks out across the Val di Chiana.
Be schooled in la cucina povera (peasant cooking) with a cookery class at the villa. Learn how to make traditional treats including stuffed tomatoes, pasta al ragu, beef in truffle sauce and so on; then toast your new found skills at the celebratory dinner that follows. A session costs €120 a head (for groups of one to four) or €100 each (groups of four to eight). Remember to book your session at least a day in advance.