Style Italian fairytale
Setting Mediaeval Montefollonico
At Follonico hotel in Tuscany, an ancient typewriter graces a dressing table, a wedding dress hangs on a wall, crockery is playfully mismatched, and shots of vivid colour vie with the green, green countryside.
Need to know
- Rooms Six, including four suites.
Double rooms from $192.55 (€150), excluding tax at 10 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (€150) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- Facilities Gardens and free WiFi. In rooms: organic Lorenzo Villoresi bath products.
- Check-out 10.30am; earliest check-in, 4pm.
- Children Little Smiths are welcome and cots are free. More...
- Also Keen to bring your dog? Speak to the owners in advance to arrange.
Food and drink at Follonico
There’s no restaurant – all the more reason to explore the area’s bounty of dining options – but cooking classes can be arranged for a minimum six people (€75 for four courses and wine) and cold meals of meat, cheese and garden-grown veg are available between April and October. Breakfast is pretty special though; all the treats – cheese, meat, yoghurt, jam, fruit, and so on – are sourced within 15km of Follonico, and a selection of freshly baked breads are delivered daily from a bakery in Pienza.
- Dress code Be inspired by the suites’ shots of vivid colour and the beautiful frocks (hand-picked by owner Suzanne) that hang on the rails in rooms. Channel your inner prince and princess with a silk shirt or dreamy dress.
- Top table With these views, you’ll be enjoying breakfast outside in summer; at a table by the patio windows in the breakfast room, come winter.
- Room service None, so raid the delis in Montefollonico and Montepulciano for supplies. (Panforte, cantucci and orange-infused riciarelli biscuits, or local cheeses and cured meats will whet your appetite.)
There’s an honesty bar in the breakfst room, with beer and soft drinks, including a few local wines: Brunello di Montalcino, Nobile di Montepulciano and Chianti
Follonico Località Casale, 2, Torrita Di Siena, Siena, Tuscany, Tuscany, 53049
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Follonico
A bottle of local wine
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Stake out Rosso Tramonto for inspiring views from its three windows. Alternatively, if you crave space, spread yourselves across Verde Intenso’s three rooms, each on a separate level, with an original stone staircase.
Wellington boots for Follonico farm life; Giambattista Basile’s Italian fairy tales, known as the Pentamerone; a shirt or dress in one of the hotel’s intense Crayola colours, such as aquamarine, rose or violet.
From the Guestbook…
We can only echo previous guests' praise for Follonico and its wonderful owners, Fabio and Suzanne. We stayed four nights in a white essentials room, and we wished it could have be...more