Style Seeing red
Setting Waterfront Puerto Madero
A ruby-red riverfront palace, the Philippe Starck-designed Faena Hotel occupies a converted granary with soaring ceilings and prime city views. Inside, the hotel is an art-inspired homage to Argentina, with one of the world’s best Malbec collections, a 1920s-inspired cabaret and, of course, tango lessons from local experts. Prep for a long night of dancing with a soak in steaming spa tubs and a dinner of steaks that set a new Argentinean standard.
Need to know
- Rooms 90, including 15 suites.
Double rooms from $399.00, excluding tax at 21 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($399) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates usually include buffet breakfast and nightly live shows at the Library Lounge.
- Facilities Spa with hammam; gym, DVD library, free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV, CD/DVD player, iPod dock, minibar, Organ & Co. bath products.
- Poolside The heated outdoor infinity pool is surrounded by red sunloungers and pots of matching geraniums, with a giant gold crown-shaped fountain at the centre. There’s a drinks service in summer, as well as foot massages while you tan.
- Check-out 12pm, but flexible, subject to availability; those checking out after 6pm will be charged a half-day rate. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Welcome. The hotel has cribs available at no charge, and rollaway beds for $100, plus tax. Babysitting is available for $35 per hour, plus transportation costs for the sitter.
- Also Pets of up to 11 pounds are welcome. In advance of your arrival, the hotel will set up the room with a special bed, food menu and toy for the dog. The hotel has a dog-walking service, a pet menu and a choice of grooming treatments.
Food and drink at Faena Hotel
There are three. El Mercado, a trinket-filled space inspired by European bazaars – with a tin ceiling, tiled kitchen and wood-plan floors – serves a robust breakfast buffet of local specialties baked in an adobe oven. The Library Lounge, decorated with velvet sofas, crystal candelabra and shelves of antique books, is an all-day café serving coffee, light lunch and afternoon tea with pastries. The modern, all-white El Bistro, which has walls lined with unicorn heads, serves European and Argentinian dishes, including perfectly charred steaks.
- Dress code Glamour and glitz to make Eva Perón proud.
- Top table In good weather, take a table on the terrace for steak under the stars.
- Last orders Breakfast is served at El Mercado from 7am to 11am. The Library Lounge serves food from 10am until 2am daily; dinner is available at El Bistro Thursday to Saturday, from 8pm to 11.30pm.
- Room service A robust menu of salads, sandwiches and Argentinean classics is available 24 hours a day.
El Cabaret channels 1920s Buenos Aires with red velvet, gold trim and a spectacular cabaret and tango show. Drinks are also available at the pool bar, with views of the gilded crown fountain, and from Faena Wine Cellar, the largest collection of wines in Argentina.
Faena Hotel Martha Salotti 445, Puerto Madero, Buenos Aires, C1107CMB
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Faena Hotel
A bottle of malbec in your room and US$30 towards spa treatments
Offers at Faena Hotel
In the know
Our favourite rooms
With a freestanding tub designed by Philippe Starck and sweeping city views, the spacious Porteno Suites combine the best of city spirit and instant relaxation. The antiques-filled Executive Rooms are smaller, but have oversized white leather chairs, dramatic red-velvet drapes and the best views of the river.
Tango shoes: the hotel offers individual lessons to give you moves for the Buenos Aires dance floors. Stylish swimwear is imperative for afternoons by the pool; if you forget, the hotel has a carefully curated boutique stocked with kaftans, bikinis, jewellery and other fashionable finds.
The spa at Faena alone is worth the journey for its lengthy menu of botanical facials, energy-aligning chakras and deep-tissue massages. Get over jetlag in the candlelit marble hammam, warmed with eucalyptus-scented steam. The hotel also offers an array of private baths, including a detoxifying sea-breeze bath and a couples’ bath in a two-person tub, followed by a massage.