Style Art-inspired wonder ranch
Setting Miles and miles of plain
Set on a seemingly endless landscape of Africa-evoking plains, but just a few minutes from the surf towns of the Punta del Este coast, Estancia Vik José Ignacio is the all-white, art-adorned dream home of a half-Norwegian, half-Uruguayan billionaire with a taste for isolation, contemporary design, and char-grilled meat. Each of the 12 suites has been designed and decorated by a local artist, and if your interests include polo, barbecues, modern art, outdoor pursuits or sun-soaking lethargy, you've come to the right-place…
Need to know
- Rooms 12 suites.
Double rooms from $409.84, excluding tax at 22 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($410) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast.
- Facilities Polo field, putting green, sauna and steam room; small gym; organic gardens; DVD library; free WiFi throughout. In rooms: flatscreen TV; DVD player; iPod dock; minibar; free bottled water.
- Poolside There’s a black granite swimming pool in a courtyard at the back, with a grassy lawn on one side and wooden decks lined with loungers on the other. Guests can also swim in the lagoon.
- Check-out Entirely flexible – just let the hotel know what time you plan to turn up or depart.
- Children Very welcome. Cots are free for babies; extra beds for kids 12 and over cost US$50–US$100. Babysitting can be arranged, with three days notice. There’s a wealth of activities for adventurous littluns. More...
- Also Pets and smokers are allowed throughout the hotel. There’s a four-night minimum stay over Easter, seven nights over Christmas.
- Hotel closed May and June.
Food and drink at Estancia Vik
- Hotel restaurant A set menu with two options is served beneath gigantic candle chandeliers in the brick-vaulted dining room and the kitchen is happy to cater to special requests. The star of the culinary show, however, is the parillero, a barbecue room walled with graffiti-daubed corrugated tin and housing a colossal fire pit: a temple to char-grilled meat.
- Dress code The atmosphere’s relaxed, but the dining-room decor is elegant, so laid-back eveningwear may be in order.
- Top table It’s a communal dining-table arrangement, but get in early for the chairs by the fireplace. In summer, take a table on the terrace.
- Last orders Breakfast is available from 7am to noon, lunch from noon to 4pm, and dinner from 7pm until midnight.
- Room service Sandwiches and salads can be brought to your room 24 hours a day.
- Hotel bar Not as such: it’s a what you want, when you want, where you want kind of place. Glass panels in the dining room offer a glimpse of the 5,000-bottle wine cellar.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Estancia Vik Camino Eugenio Saiz Martinez Km 8, Balnerario José Ignacio, Punta Del Este, Uruguay
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Estancia Vik
A bottle of champagne
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Master Suite VIK must be the master of the house’s preferred option when he’s in town – it’s a bold, masculine room with dark wood-panelled walls, a high roof, and an enormous corner terrace. Master Suite Seveso is its feminine counterpart, with floor-length coral curtains, dreamily beachy artworks, lime-washed beams, rafters and floorboards, and wonderful views of the plains. Book the Trujillo Suite if you’re into nudes – that’s all we’re saying.
Chills do come at night, so be prepared to layer up for sunset strolls. Bring your iPod so you can make musical use of the in-room docking stations.
Horse riders and polo players will be in their element: there’s a stable of ponies and playing fields on site. If you’ve never played before, lessons are easy to arrange.