El Silencio Lodge & Spa
Style Eco suites on stilts
Setting Cloud forest canopy
A 500-acre tropical forest, a river winding through the grounds, three waterfalls cascading down the mountainside – if it’s back-to-nature you want, El Silencio Lodge & Spa hotel will give it to you in eco-friendly spades. Take in picture-perfect panoramas from an outdoor hot tub, greet the sunrise from the yoga deck, and feast on natural, organic food. It’s what nature intended, only better.
Need to know
- Rooms 15 mountainside suites, raised on wooden pillars.
Double rooms from $294.69, excluding tax at 13 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($295) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include daily breakfast and a guided nature walk.
- Facilities Gardens, spa, private nature reserve, library of books and DVDS, free WiFi in the restaurant and TV room. In rooms:, iPod dock, outdoor whirlpool tub, minibar, viewing deck with rocking chairs, and bath products by Costa Rican line Aromas para el Alma.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible and free, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Children ages eight and older are welcome at El Silencio. They can sleep on the convertible day-beds in each lodge, at no extra charge. Babysitting can be arranged with hotel staff for US$15, with 48 hours’ notice.
- Also Each Suite is assigned an Eco Concierge, who leads your courtesy hike, coordinates activities, can arrange tree-plantings and can point out flora and fauna.
Food and drink at El Silencio Lodge & Spa
Los Ventanas uses produce from the hotel garden to create an menu of international dishes. The kitchen promotes healthier cuisine and vegetables, ie no red meat. Local fishermen hand over their catches for several dishes, including trout au gratin.
- Dress code Jungle-casual rules the resort. Closed-toed shoes will keep you safe on impromptu after-dinner walks.
- Top table The glass-walled dining makes it easy to watch the world go by from any table. If the weather is warm, take a table on the terrace, where the babbling river sets the soundtrack.
- Last orders Las Ventanas serves dinner from 7pm¬ to 9:30pm (breakfast is 7am–10am; lunch, noon–3pm). The bar’s open until 10pm.
The lodge has a bar serving tropical cocktails, wine, beer and an espresso selection.
El Silencio Lodge & Spa Bajos del Toro, Alajuela, PO. Box 242-1225 Pavas, San Jose, Bajos del Toro, Alajuela
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at El Silencio Lodge & Spa
A choice of a half-hour couple’s massage or horse-riding tour.
Current offers at El Silencio Lodge & Spa
In the know
Our favourite rooms
All rooms have the same floor plan and feel very private, with dramatic views from the floor-to-ceiling windows, as well as from the hot tub on each deck. The Suites higher up the hill feel more like they are situated in a cloud forest. Opt for 11, which attracts hummingbirds to the plants around its porch.
Pack light on bath products: El Silencio’s biodegradable potions are packed with natural goodies such as lavender and peppermint, (which handily double as all-natural bug repellents). Bring clothes for all temperatures (preferably in shades of green, naturally).
Sit back and let the wildlife come to you. The groundskeepers planted purple verbena flowers around each cabin’s viewing deck to lure hummingbirds. Keen eyes can also spot wild pheasants, sparrows, blue tanagers and, possibly, the iridescent, long-tailed quetzal.