Dunton Hot Springs
Style Luxury log cabins
Setting Hot springs heaven
Buried in rural and rocky Colorado, Dunton Hot Springs hotel is a mountain-surrounded former mining town, reincarnated in boutique cabin form. The old village Dance Hall, Bath House and Saloon are part of this unique retreat, where soothing springs, majestic mountains and a winding river make up the great outdoors. Each cabin is cosily kitted out with heated slate floors, unique bath tubs and hand-picked antiques.
Need to know
- Rooms 12 cabins, one tent.
Double rooms from $550.00, excluding tax at 10.4 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency ($550) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include all meals and drinks not on the Reserve list.
- Facilities Yoga studio, library, climbing wall, boxing gym, original saloon, dance hall, teepee and free WiFi. In rooms, iPod dock, free bottled water and REN bath products.
- Poolside There are indoor and outdoor natural hot springs to bathe in, including one overlooking the mountains through a floor-to-ceiling window in the Bath House.
- Check-out 11am, but flexible, subject to availability. Earliest check-in, 3pm.
- Children Children are welcome. Cots for babies and toddlers aged two and under are free; under-12s can stay in their parents’ room for US$200 a night. A local nanny can be drafted in with three days’ notice. The saloon serves up a children’s menu.
- Also There’s no signal for cell phones in the resort, but all calls made from the landline are free.
Food and drink at Dunton Hot Springs
Head to the original saloon to kick back in pure Western comfort: fresh produce from the farm, wine from a local vineyard, a daily changing menu and a chatty chef to chew the fat with. Try the smoked trout, straight out of the nearest pond, and a grilled rack of Colorado lamb. Breakfast consists of some pretty special granola, as well as a baked good of the day (personal favourites include the banana muffins and cranberry scones).
- Dress code Cool as a cowboy; anyone who can pull off a Stetson and neckerchief combo gets our vote.
- Top table Communal dining encourages the community feel at this old mining town; enjoy the tales of other travellers who have made their way to Dunton.
- Last orders Breakfast is served between 8am and 10am; lunch is at 1pm; dinner at 8pm.
- Room service There is no room service but you can request in-cabin dining for special occasions.
The bar is in the main Saloon and Dance Hall. Look out for the names of famous former patrons etched into the original bar (Butch Cassidy and Sundance passed through these parts once upon a time). Sample a mojito mixed with mint fresh from the garden or a beer from local microbrewery, Dolores River Brewery.
Also worth knowing
- Weddings This property is suitable for weddings. More...
Dunton Hot Springs 52068 West Fork Road #38, Dolores, CO 81323
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Dunton Hot Springs
An in-cabin dinner for two including a bottle of wine from the hotel's own Sutcliffe Vineyards.
In the know
Our favourite rooms
Of all the cabins, we love the spacious Well House best for its open plan, romantic vibe and private hot springs. Runner up goes to Bjoerkmans, one of the oldest and cosiest cabins, named after the miner that built it. As well as a view of the waterfall, its understated design takes in rustic rugs and classic wooden furniture. For seclusion, plump for Dolores, which has a large deck overlooking the river.
Think mountains: even in summer, the temperature can drop. You’ll be grateful for layers. No need to pack holiday reads – each cabin has enough literature to keep you entertained.
If the hot springs aren’t enough for rejuvenating your relaxation levels, head to the yoga studio. There’s also a cabin-based gym.