Style New England yacht club
Setting Bracing Cornish clifftop
Striking the perfect balance between accessible and remote, the main house of this boutique hotel has an incredible setting, high on a Cornish cliff with spectacular views over the bay and Driftwood Hotel's own private beach. From the outside it doesn’t look out of the ordinary, but the interior has been given a great deal of thought: the furnishings have a comfortable, homely feel, in blues and creams and natural woods – all very, very tasteful.
Need to know
- Rooms 14 rooms, and a private cabin overlooking the beach.
Double rooms from $297.06 (£196), excluding tax at 20 per cent.
The price shown represents the lowest nightly rate for a double room available at this hotel over the next 21 days. Any price conversions from the hotel's local currency (£196) have been conducted using today's exchange rates from xe.com.
- More details Rates include breakfast, newspaper and, in low season, dinner.
- Facilities Private beach, terrace, seven acres of heritage coastline, TV room with DVD/video library, WiFi, parking. In rooms, DVD/video player, free broadband internet access, L’Occitane toiletries.
- Check-out 11am (but flexible); earliest check-in, 2pm.
- Children Welcome, but babies and small children are not allowed in the restaurant. There is a £15 charge for under-12s sharing their parents’ room (£20 for over-12s), including breakfast. The games room has, among other amusements, a PlayStation. More...
- Also In-room beauty treatments can be booked if you need some TLC. A minimum two-night stay is required at weekends (three nights on bank holidays) for rooms. Stays of four nights or more are available at a discount – ring the Smith Travel Team to book.
- Hotel closed Driftwood is closed for eight weeks in winter, usually from early December to early February.
Food and drink at Driftwood Hotel
Chef Chris Eden was formerly at the Square, and uses fresh, local and organic ingredients when available to produce his Michelin-starred Modern European menu; highlights include wonderful fish and seafood and home-made bread.
- Dress code Chino chic: deck shoes, panama hats and cable knits.
- Top table A corner table in the new extension, or table 6 in the conservatory, overlooking the sea.
- Last orders Food: 9.30pm. Breakfast heartily from 8am until 9.30am (10am on Sundays).
- Room service Drinks and snacks only.
There’s a wee little bar next to the restaurant, serving all the usual tipples till midnight, but you could also take a glass of chilled wine onto the deck or the lawn and soak in that gorgeous view from a comfortable steamer chair.
Driftwood Hotel Rosevine, near Portscatho, Rosevine, Cornwall TR2 5EW
Join us – it's free!
Sign up now for exclusive hotel offers, money back on every booking, and Smith extras (like the one below) whenever you book with us. more
Smith extra at Driftwood Hotel
A free bottle of house wine with dinner on one evening
In the know
Our favourite rooms
In terms of both size and sea views, Room 10 wins hands-down: it’s the biggest room in the hotel, and boasts double aspect vistas and a snug little vantage spot. Room 11 (a Deck Room), has French windows opening onto a private deck overlooking the gardens and the sea beyond.
Frisbee, kite, binoculars.
The kitchen will provide a picnic hamper on request.